Sunday, February 5, 2017

Weekly Goal Update: Jan 29 - Feb 4


January 29 - February 4

Welcome to the end of the fifth week of 2017!  I did really well this week and I'm really excited to share my progress with you all, especially after last week's not so awesome action.



1. Make healthier food choices.
Breakfast
I've got this breakfast thing perfected!  This week I start cutting back the amount of oatmeal I eat from 1/2 cup (dry) to 1/3 cup.  I still was just as satisfied without feeling like I had eaten too much.  I think cutting out those excess calories really helped too!  And for breakfast on Saturday I had some yummy potatoes, eggs, and chopped green peppers that I seasoned with freshly cut rosemary and thyme from my herb garden, which is now producing tons of fresh yummy seasoning.

Lunch
I had some new and different items in my lunch this week that made things a little more exciting while still having healthy and balanced mid day meals.

Dinner
Good planning helped me to have lots of healthy dinners on the menu and also kept the amount of work to make them down to a minimum.  I even tried some new recipes!

Snack
Something I learned from the The Dash Diet Action Plan book I've been reading is that it's fine to have a healthy snack if you're not going to be eating for awhile so that you can manage your hunger.  Some days when I knew I was going to eat dinner especially late, I would snack on fruit or unsalted nuts.

Dessert
Dessert is my weakness so this week I finished off the last of the full fat mini ice cream cups and now I'm switching over to low fat frozen yogurt.  I was actually surprised at how good it was!  And it never hurts to add a serving of fruit with some delicious fresh strawberries to make any frozen dessert more tasty.



2. Exercise five days a week for thirty minutes (or a total of 150 minutes per week, 2.5 hours).
Last week I was beginning to feel like my Fitbit's Smart Track was not accurately tracking my exercise so I created a Google Form where I can manually log my exercise.  After comparing, I'm mad at my Fitbit!  It didn't track a total of 25 minutes of exercise that I logged.  And I know my times were right because I used the stopwatch on my phone.  Below are the activities I recorded.  However, one thing that's cool with the Fitbit is that you can use GPS to track when you walk outside and it will show your path.  That's been motivating me to try to go for a walk before dinner.

Sunday: 37 minute indoor walk
Monday: 16 minute outdoor walk
Tuesday: 17 minute outdoor walk
Wednesday: 30 minute indoor walk
Thursday: 20 minute indoor walk
Friday: 27 minute indoor walk
Saturday: 18 minute outdoor walk

Total Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes


3. Get 10,000 steps six days a week.
I've met and surpassed this one again by getting 10,000 steps every day this week.  My best day was Monday with 11,062 steps and my worst day was Sunday with 10,004.  Enjoying my outdoor walks (and tracking them with the Fitbit app) has motivated me to get my 10,000 steps in by just going for a walk.


4. Go to sleep earlier.
While I improved on this from last week, I still have room to improve more.  Weekends especially seemed to get me this past week.

Goal: Weeknights between 9:00PM and 9:30PM
My actual average bed time for weeknights was 9:32:11PM.  I was going to bed before 9:30 every night except Sunday, when I went to bed at 10:25 and messed up my times for the whole rest of the week.  But I was really close to my goal and I'm pretty happy about that!  I'm going to really try hard next week to hit this goal.

Goal: Weekends between 10:00PM and 10:30PM
My actual average bed time for weekends was 10:52:54, well past my goal.  It's much easier for me to lose track of time on the weekends and just get busy doing some silly tasks and before I know it, it's already 10:00 and I haven't showered or anything.  This is another goal I really want to work on for next week.



5. Leave some wiggle room.
This week all of my wiggle room went to sweets.  Sometimes you just have a craving!  I had 1/2 cup low fat vanilla frozen yogurt with strawberries, a chocolate ice cream cup with strawberries, and a mini almond joy because sometimes when you're at a training and the candy is staring at you the whole day, you can't resist.


6. Progress towards goal?
Wow!  This was the first week I really concentrated on following the DASH Diet and trying to be conscious of my portion sizes compared to their recommendations and I guess it paid off!  I'm down 2.4 pounds from last week and 6.8 pounds total.  And I'm not going to lie.  It was really easy!  I'm not killing myself exercising like a mad woman.  I'm just walking and making sure I get my 10,000 steps.  And I'm not starving myself or depriving myself.  I think the food pictures show that I'm just eating lots more whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies, and I'm watching my portion size on things that could add up to a lot of calories.  I've been more thoughtful about including smaller amounts of grains, rice, and other starches and incorporating more filling veggies instead.  However, I feel like soon I'll hit a plateau where I just get stuck and stop losing weight for awhile.  That happens to me often and it's usually after a big loss like this.



7. Goals for this week?
Last week's goals:
  1. Try something new for lunches. 
I switched it up from usual by adding in different fruits and vegetables, and switching my PB&J for crackers, meat and cheese or wheat sandwich rounds, meat and cheese.
✅  2. Try at least two new dinner recipes.
New recipes we tried included black bean burgers (which didn't hold together well but tasted great) and rosemary pork chops with balsamic glaze. 
  3. Cook dinner at least four nights out of the week.
The four meals I made were:
* rosemary pork chops with balsamic glaze, carrots, potatoes, and snow peas
* black bean burgers on toasted whole wheat buns topped with salsa and a side salad
* zucchini burrito boats
* balsamic chicken, carrots, and snow peas on a bed of mixed white and brown rice

This week's goals:
1. Try at least two new dinner recipes.  I really feel like I need to keep trying some new healthy dinner recipes until I have a decent stock of them that I can just choose from when meal planning.
2. Make at least one meal using my veggie spiralizer.  I don't want it to become another dusty kitchen gadget.
3. Finish reading The Dash Diet Action Plan.  I've really been enjoying this book but work and life have made me read at a slower pace than I would like.
4. Hit my bed time goals for weeknights and weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment