Sunday, February 12, 2017

Weekly Goal Update: Feb 5 - 11


February 5 - 11

Six weeks of 2017 are already over!  Every week I'm astounded by how fast this year is going.  Not going to lie though... this week couldn't end fast enough!  It was just one of those weeks.  But even having a stressful week, I kept focused on my goals.  Let's break them down.



1. Make healthier food choices.
Breakfast
I'm still eating oatmeal!  Having lots of variety in flavors keeps it from getting boring.
Lunch
I've done a really good job of having balanced lunches this week.  Whole grain crackers or sandwich thins, light cheese, low sodium turkey, carrots, strawberries, and apples.
Dinner
Dinners consisted of a variety of DASH diet friendly recipes with lots of veggies.
Snack
Hubby is currently coaching lacrosse so he's getting home for dinner later than usual.  To keep myself from having low blood sugars with so much time between lunch and dinner, I've taken to snacking on unsalted nuts and raisins.  It's a yummy and healthy home made trail mix.
Dessert
I only had dessert a few nights this week.  I had low fat vanilla frozen yogurt with strawberries on top and one night I had a pineapple fruit bar.




2. Exercise five days a week for thirty minutes (or a total of 150 minutes per week, 2.5 hours).
I really tried to turn to exercise for stress relief this week instead of eating junk food like I wanted to.  It seems like it paid off!  Friday's walk was very therapeutic and pretty too.  And after Tuesday's and Saturday's workouts, I was definitely feeling some hard core workout endorphins bringing me up a bit.

Sunday: 25 minute indoor walk
Monday: 15 minutes of yoga
Tuesday: 31 minutes of cardio/calisthenics (HIIT)
Wednesday: 17 minutes of yoga
Thursday: 26 minute indoor walk
Friday: 32 minute outdoor walk (1.87 miles!)
Saturday: 36 minute stride & strength workout [this one]

Total time: 3 hours, 2 minutes


3. Get 10,000 steps six days a week.
Met and surpassed this one again!  I don't know why but I've just really had more energy on the weekends lately and it's motivated me to get up and move, even if it isn't to do a hard core workout.  Sometimes it's just nice to go for a walk and get some fresh air.  Friday was my best step day with 11,185 thanks to a long walk outside.


4. Go to sleep earlier.
Goal: Weeknights between 9:00PM and 9:30PM
My actual average bed time for weeknights was 9:22:35 PM.  Go me!  It was kind of easy to go to bed early though when this week was so stressful.  Each day, I felt exhausted and very ready to say goodbye to the day and just sleep.

Goal: Weekends between 10:00PM and 10:30PM
My actual average bed time for weekends was 10:21:00 PM.  Another goal met!  I'm hoping that going to bed early and getting up earlier on the weekends will help me to stay more on the same schedule during the week.  Hopefully tonight I'll be able to fall asleep earlier.




5. Leave some wiggle room.
Our friends from Germany sent us a package a few weeks ago and these Stapelchips were one of the yummy treats they sent.  I've been trying to resist them ever since but I couldn't help myself!  They are a lot like Pringles but have a different flavor (pepper flavored) that to me is a lot tastier and less salty than Pringles.  But I was careful to only eat a little bit and only on the weekend and then stop myself.  And of course, there was dessert!  Frozen yogurt with strawberries and also a pineapple Outshine fruit bar.  I have a few of these in my freezer (also strawberry, which I think is even better) and they are taking up quite a bit of space so I'm going to try to eat them for dessert.




6. Progress towards goal?
I really didn't think I would lose any weight this week so I was pretty surprised when I saw that I had lost 0.6 pounds this week, which means my total weight loss is now at 7.4 pounds.  If you have been trying to lose weight and struggling, I would definitely recommend trying the DASH diet.  It's not some crazy restrictive diet but just good healthy eating and it's easy to follow.  I'm just so surprised at how much easier it has been for me to lose weight on this plan than when I was trying to figure things out on my own.  And I've found a lot of healthy recipes that I've really been enjoying cooking and eating!



7. Goals for this week?
Last week's goals:
✅ 1. Try at least two new dinner recipes.
I actually tried four!  1. spiralized potatoes, ground turkey, broccoli, and cheese 2. Mexican chicken tortilla soup 3. pizzadillas 4. honey chicken and rice
✅ 2. Make at least one meal using my veggie spiralizer.
This time we tried spiralized potatoes.  Delicious!
✅ 3. Finish reading The Dash Diet Action Plan.
I finished this on Wednesday.  A really great read for anyone trying to lose weight or lower their blood pressure and cholesterol.  
✅ 4. Hit my bed time goals for weeknights and weekends.  Much needed sleep achieved!

This week's goals:
Since I've been focusing a lot of my goals lately on eating, I want to focus a bit on exercise for this week.
1. Complete a 20 minute yoga video.  I love Yoga With Adriene on YouTube.  She makes yoga easy and enjoyable but it's been a while since I've done one of her videos.
[20 - 25 min Yoga Practices Playlist]
2. Complete at least one 20 minute strength walking workout.  I also love Jessica Smith TV on YouTube.  I dusted off my dumb bells for a video on Saturday and I need to make an effort to use them more.
[Strength Training Playlist]
3. Go for a walk outside that is at least one mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment