Sunday, January 15, 2017

Weekly Goal Update: Jan 8-14

January 8-14

The second week of January is over and I'm here for my second goal update on My Plan to Get Back on Track for the New Year.  If you missed last week's update, click here to check it out.  Let's see how I did with each of my goals.


1. Make healthier food choices.
Breakfast
I think I did great!  I had oatmeal every day for work, thanks to my breakfast preparation last week.  On the weekend, I had basically the same thing but with farina (Cream of Wheat) instead of oatmeal just to change things up a bit.

Snack
Since I started eating oatmeal for breakfast, I haven't been snacking mid morning any more.  Oatmeal really does a great job of keeping you full!

Lunch
I did really well with lunches too.  I brought grapes, carrots, and peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat Monday through Thursday for lunch at work.  I knew my work crew was going out to lunch together Friday but I got a grilled chicken salad with olive oil and vinegar.  On the weekends, I had grapes, carrots and whole wheat bread with turkey and cheese.

Dinner
Dinner is usually a weak area for me because hubby cooks dinner and he's more concerned with making an amazing meal than a healthy meal.  Lately, I've been trying to help out more by selecting more fresh veggies at the grocery store and giving him recipes that include those.  We had some chicken with pasta, grape tomatoes, squash, and asparagus one night seasoned with lemon, rosemary, and parsley.  Another night he made steaks with squash, red potatoes, and tomatoes that were flavored with thyme, lemon, and parsley.  A friend gave us several large juicing lemons from a tree in his yard, hence all the lemon, which tastes amazing with chicken or veggies!  Also, we started an herb garden outside so we can have fresh herbs to cook with!  I think once it gets closer to spring, we may also plant some veggies and try our hand at growing more of our own food.

Dessert
I've mentioned before that dessert has always been a weakness for me.  I just love something cold!  I've got more of these Breyer's ice cream cups to use up and then I think I'm going to try something else.  Maybe frozen yogurt?


2. Exercise five days a week for thirty minutes.
I didn't even realize that I had set my goal to five days a week for thirty minutes until I went back to my original post on this and re-read it.  I'm going to give myself a pass though because 5 X 30 = 150 minutes total or 2.5 hours and I exceeded that, even if it was spread out differently through the week.

Sunday: 50 minutes of "elliptical" (AKA walking in place, not sure why my FitBit can't figure that out!)
Monday: 15 minutes of yoga
Tuesday 17 minutes of yoga
Wednesday: 17 minutes of yoga
Thursday: 34 minutes of "elliptical"
Friday: 18 minutes of walking
Saturday: 33 minutes of "elliptical"

I'm just going to go ahead and say I'm the most proud of Thursday.  I had a dentist appointment in the morning but instead of sleeping in, I got up at my normal time, got ready to go, and then walked in place with the extra time I had.  Go me!


3. Get 10,000 steps six days a week.
I'm pretty proud of this one!  I managed to get to 10,000 steps every single day this week.  I guess I was just feeling extra motivated on Saturday.  I knew I could take the day off if I wanted to but I was feeling up to walking so I did.


4. Go to sleep earlier.
After creating my Google form to track my bedtime, I think I did better than last week.  However, I still have some major room for improvement!  My goal for weeknights was to average a bedtime between 9:00 - 9:30 PM.  I barely scraped in at the latest possible time and only because on the last day I figured out what time I could stay up until based on the data from the rest of the week and I went to bed at that time!  But before, I would have just stayed up later and not cared.  Collecting the data definitely makes me think more about it, even if I did stay up past 9:30 two nights.  My goal for weekends was to average a bedtime between 10:00 - 10:30 PM.  I failed at that goal.  But again, in the past I would have stayed up even later and not cared.  For this week coming though, I really would like to meet both of my goals!

5. Leave some wiggle room.
This week was all about dessert for me.  I went out to eat twice but both times just got a grilled chicken salad so I allowed myself room for two nights of the mini ice cream cups.

6. Progress towards goal?
This week I was down 1.6 pounds from last week and 5.2 pounds total.  I would like to say that all of my hard work paid off on the scale this week but I honestly think it was just water weight!  I fully expect to yoyo around a little on the scale this coming week as I regain some of the water when I have a meal or two with more sodium.  If I maintain about the same weight by the end of next week, I'll be happy.

On a final note, I'm looking into the DASH diet right now.  It's the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension diet that helps people lower their blood pressure through diet changes.  It's good for me because it's a low sodium diet and it's been voted the number one diet for the last seven years by U.S. News and World Report because it's easy to follow, good for your heart, and also good for diabetics.  I've ordered the book The DASH Diet Action Plan from Amazon so I'm really curious to see if I can find some more low sodium recipes and meal ideas.  Has anyone heard of this diet?  Have you had luck with it?  I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment