Sunday, January 29, 2017

Weekly Goal Update: Jan 22 - 28


January 22 - 28

The fourth week of the year is over and I feel like I let it beat me up!  I mentioned in my goals for this week that I would be traveling Tuesday through Friday of this week and I was hoping to do okay with eating healthy and losing weight.  I feel pretty meh about how I did.  It wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either.  Overall I did well but made a few bad decisions.  Let's break it down.



1. Make healthier food choices.
Breakfast
I did great with breakfast all week!  I packed pre-made oatmeal bags with me so I could have a filling healthy breakfast while at the hotel.  Although not indulging in my usual morning cup of coffee lead me to partake in several caffeinated sodas while at the convention center.  Note to self: You are hopelessly addicted to caffeine.  Accept it and prepare better in the future.

Lunch
I did really well at lunches until the last two days of travel.  Before that we were able to eat at the hotel or a restaurant so I could have healthy options but the last two days we had to eat at the convention center and there just really were no healthy choices.  I ended up having pizza two days in a row because it was the only line that took less than half an hour to get your food.  But I was proud that I was able to restrict myself to only eating 3/4 of the pizza.  In the olden days I would have just overeaten not to waste food.  I'm trying to learn that it's better to waste food than let it make you unhealthy.

Snack
I actually snacked quite a bit in between lunch and dinner but I think it worked out.  I stocked the hotel fridge and pantry with healthy snacks like apples, carrots, bananas, light cheese, whole grain crackers, and trail mix made with unsalted nuts and raisins.  Each day, we had about seven hours between lunch and dinner so the healthy snacks helped me manage my hunger so that by the time we got to the restaurant, I wasn't starving and then overeating and making poor choices.

Dinner
I did pretty good with dinner.  I ate salad every day and consciously stopped eating before I was stuffed, especially since I had already had a snack.  I was especially proud of my self control when we went to Texas de Brazil and everyone else left feeling overly full and sick.

Dessert
Besides the pizza, dessert was my downfall.  Our first night out, we walked to dinner and by the time we got to Johnny Rocket's, my blood sugar was low.  I jumped on the bandwagon with all my coworkers and ordered a milk shake.  However, I was proud of the fact that at least I only ate half of it.  As a matter of fact, we had dessert three nights and all three nights I was able to decide in advance how much dessert I would eat (half), and stuck to that through milkshakes, banana foster's cheesecake, and Coldstone Creamery ice cream.  In retrospect, I should have skipped dessert completely but only eating half is still progress for me.  You have to start somewhere and for me, I can't completely refrain from things I love.

Overall, my favorite healthy meal was surprisingly the grilled chicken pilaf salad that I had at the Ikea cafe.  Other than the fact that they hid the Light Italian dressing until I had already settled on ranch (in my opinion, not as good and more fattening), it was an absolutely delicious and interesting salad.  My least favorite healthy meal was the zucchini potato frittata that I tried to make Sunday morning for breakfast.  I didn't follow a recipe and... I should have.  I used way too much potato and zucchini and the zucchini was weirdly too wet, ruining the texture of the whole frittata.  I might try it again, but this time I'll follow a recipe so I know how much of each ingredient to use and that I should pat dry the zucchini after spiralizing it.  Good idea but poor execution that had to be covered in Frank's red hot to mask the weird texture.





2. Exercise five days a week for thirty minutes (or a total of 150 minutes per week, 2.5 hours).

I'm not getting in thirty minutes five days a week but I seem to always be hitting this mark.  I'm going to just let it go, as long as I'm getting the two and a half hours per week.  For me, that leads to more days of being active and more days of getting 10,000 steps.

Sunday: ---
Monday: 15 minutes of yoga
Tuesday: 22 minutes of aerobics (Not sure what that was about... we walked to the convention center and climbed a bunch of stairs to register.  Guess the Fitbit thinks that is aerobics?)
30 minute walk
26 minute walk
Wednesday: 21 minute walk
Thursday: 16 minute walk
Friday: 15 minute walk
Saturday: 20 minute walk

Total time: 2 hours, 47 minutes



3. Get 10,000 steps six days a week.
I definitely hit this goal and even surpassed it!  I actually thought we would be a lot more active while at the conference but it turned out our hotel was super close to the convention center and then all of our sessions were really close to each other.  My best day was Tuesday, mostly because I made all of my coworkers walk to dinner because I drove us down and didn't want to have to deal with parking.  However, it was over a mile walk there and back and I wore my Keds, which have less support than my normal walking shoes.  I paid for it the rest of the week, as the outside of my right foot was in a lot of pain the rest of the week and I'm not really sure why.  That led to less motivation to walk the rest of the week because it was so painful that I would end up limping.  But I did get over 20,000 steps on Tuesday, which earned me the High Tops badge!  The worst day was Sunday, where I was literally just trying to haul my heinie off the couch long enough to get 10,000 steps.  But I did it with 10,123 total! 



4. Go to sleep earlier.
This was a hard goal to manage this week just because there were nights where we were obligated to attend things and we got back to the hotel late.  But most days we were able to sleep in a lot later than we would have for work as well.  Also, one night I forgot to check into my Google form before going to sleep so it didn't track my bed time.  In general, there was only one night that I felt I didn't get nearly enough sleep but there wasn't anything I could have done about it anyway.  I'm honestly looking forward to getting back into my normal early bed time and early wake up.



5. Leave some wiggle room.
Okay, maybe I gave myself a little too much wiggle room this week but when you travel, temptation is everywhere and sometimes healthy choices are slim.  My indulgences while traveling included: desserts, pizza, and several diet sodas.


6. Progress towards goal?
This week definitely did not help me reach my goal of losing weight.  However, I think most of the weight I gained this week is in water weight.  Pizza is particularly high in sodium and after eating so much of it, I'm definitely feeling the edema in my hands.  My wedding ring is feeling super tight and uncomfortable!  Overall, I've gained 0.6 pounds this week and my total weight loss so far is only 4.4 pounds.  I'm going to need to work really hard this coming week to get back on track!


7. Goals for this week?
This week I'm going to really try to focus on eating healthy.  I've been reading The Dash Diet Action Plan and I've gotten some really good ideas on some different foods I can try.  It's always easier to eat healthy when you're able to really plan, shop, and prepare to eat good foods.  That's much harder when you're away from home.  I've already got some recipes to try out and I had a well thought out list when I went to the grocery store yesterday evening.

My goals are:
1. Try something new for lunches.  I'm getting tired of the exact same lunch I've been having for months now.
2. Try at least 2 new dinner recipes.
3. Cook dinner at least 4 nights out of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment