Sunday, January 22, 2017

Weekly Goal Update: Jan 15-21


January 15 - 21

Wow, three weeks of 2017 are already gone!  And somehow, even though this was a short work week for me thanks to Martin Luther King Jr. Day, this was the busiest week of the year for me as well.  A huge project assignment at work derailed me from a few of my goals, but overall, I think I still ended the week no worse for wear.  Let’s look at the details.



1. Make healthier food choices.
Breakfast
I stuck with my oatmeal breakfasts this week and found them easy and filling.  Adding in fresh or freeze dried fruit and some nuts on top keep them interesting and add in some more healthy noms.

Snack
I didn’t partake in mid-morning snacking.

Lunch
I did really well with lunches, sticking with my typical whole wheat peanut butter and sugar free jelly, grapes, and carrots most days and eating a salad on the day we went out for lunch.

Dinner
Dinner was kind of my success of the week.  I really put a lot of planning into our meals and grocery shopping for this week and tried out a bunch of really healthy recipes.  And I actually cooked every day from Monday to Thursday!  Here’s what I made:

Wednesday: zucchini burrito bowls

Out of those four meals I made, my favorite was the zucchini burrito bowls.  I'll definitely be making those again!  They were something I sort of imagined up myself so the next time I make it, I'll try to remember to take pictures so I can share the recipe on here.  They were so amazing and actually full of vegetables!  My least favorite meal was the ground turkey and broccoli stir fry.  It was really labor intensive and just not that flavorful.  I think if I wanted something Asian inspired, next time I would make the balsamic chicken along with a bunch of yummy veggies and serve it over rice instead.  That chicken was amazing and had a sweet and spicy flair to it.

Dessert
With being so busy with work this week, by the time I got home and made dinner, I had to get back to work on my project so I didn't even have time to think about dessert.



2. Exercise five days a week for thirty minutes (or a total of 150 minutes per week, 2.5 hours).

Sunday: 30 minutes of "elliptical"
Monday: 46 minutes of "elliptical"
Tuesday: 18 minutes of "elliptical"
Wednesday: 16 minutes of walking
Thursday: 28 minutes of yoga
Friday: ----
Saturday: 31 minutes of "elliptical"

Total time: 2 hours, 52 minutes

Spending so much time sitting working on my project this week meant I needed a way to get in more steps, hence why there is so much "elliptical", which is really just me walking briskly in place using different types of steps.  By Thursday I was so drained and stressed that I really needed some yoga just to clear my mind.


3. Get 10,000 steps six days a week.
I did really well with my step goal this week.  I passed my goal of 10,000 steps six days a week and went for all seven days.  Thursday was my best day with 11,259 steps and my worst day was Tuesday when I just barely made my goal with 10,010 steps.  But barely making a goal is still making a goal!  And I am also pretty proud that I earned my Italy badge for walking a total of 736 (the length of Italy) since getting my FitBit in July.


4. Go to sleep earlier.
My sleep goals were my biggest fail of this week.  We had a friend over Sunday night and then had an extracurricular event with friends on Friday night that kept us up way later than we would have liked.  During the week, I was staying up late working on my big project.  I definitely noticed that I had way less energy all this week from the lack of sleep.

Goal: Weekday nights between 9:00PM and 9:30PM:
My actual average bed time for the weekday nights (only 4 nights because of the short week) was 9:53:54 PM.  That's way later than I want to be staying up when my alarm goes off at 5:00AM.  And it was much harder to get out of bed when the alarm went off.

Goal: Weekend nights between 10:00PM and 10:30PM:
My actual average bedtime for the three weekend nights was 11:47:25 PM.  That's way later than I usually stay up on weekends!  Having a social like takes a toll on sleep but sometimes you just need some time with your pals.


5. Leave some wiggle room.
I knew I was saving my wiggle room for this weekend.  We have $50 in Red Lobster gift cards and I knew I wanted to order their Cajun Chicken Alfredo.  High in fat and calories but oh so good and satisfying.  Also, the Cheddar Bay Biscuits.  I'm drooling just thinking about it!  But I ate less than half of the pasta at dinner and saved the rest to at least split the calories up over two days.  Also, I indulged in a Starbucks Chai Tea Latte on Friday night.  I've never ordered one before but now I'm in love!  And I'm happy to report that a tall almond milk chai tea latte is only 140 calories!  My husband ordered a Grande Java Chip Frappuccino with whipped cream.  Want to guess?  It was a whopping 470 calories!  😳  I felt pretty good about my choice after seeing that!


6. Progress towards goal?
I mentioned in last week's update that I would be happy if I just maintained my weight this week.  While I technically gained 0.2 of a pound between my weight last Saturday and this Saturday, I feel like that's pretty much maintaining.  I can lose or gain that much weight just by how much water I'm retaining.

One thing that I did learn was that I think my portion sizes at dinner are too large.  I purchased this book on the DASH diet from Amazon and have been reading through it.  It's actually much more interesting than I thought it would be and one thing that stood out to me so far was how much less us short folks need to eat if we want to lose weight.  After looking back on all my dinner photos from the week, I think it might be a better idea for me to have a snack in between lunch and dinner and try to eat a smaller dinner portion or at least eat more vegetables and less starches at dinner.


7. Goals for next week?
Next week is going to be an odd week for me.  I'll be on a business trip Tuesday through Friday and I know our only option will be to eat out for lunches and dinners.  I plan on bringing my pre-packaged homemade oatmeal to prepare for breakfast and I've packed healthy snacks too but I just don't know what kind of options I'll have for lunches and dinners.  I won't be surprised if I can a pound or two in water weight next week because it's much harder to find low sodium meals when eating out.  The only plus side is that I know we'll be doing a lot of walking so I should get in some extra steps.  Fingers crossed that it all works out okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment