Saturday, January 14, 2017

Healthy Meal Preparation: Lunch


As I mentioned in my Healthy Meal Preparation: Breakfast post, preparing healthy meals in advance helps me to make healthier eating choices so I'm able to lose weight.  Today we're talking lunches!  I like to prep my meals on the weekend but I don't want to spend all day doing it.  I've streamlined this process and I thought today I would share with you how I go about it.

The hardest part for me was planning in advance so that when I go to the grocery store, I buy healthy foods that are quick and easy to prepare for the week.  For me, I've found that some of the easiest things are grapes and carrots.  With the grapes, all you have to do is wash them, cut the stems to separate them into groups.  I have five days of work this week so I separated them into five groups.  I leave them on the vine and just put them in a ziplock bag.  Next, I buy pre-sliced carrots and divvy them out into five groups as well.  Occasionally, the store will be out of pre-sliced.  In that case I just buy whole carrots, wash them, and break them into pieces that will fit in a bag.  No one in my office minds if I chomp on a carrot like Bugs Bunny.



Finally, I make a sandwich.  I do this each night before work.  Bread just don't stay fresh after you've put toppings on it so I don't make one in the evening for the next day.  However, making a peanut butter and sugar free jelly or a turkey and cheese only takes a couple of minutes each night compared to creating an entire lunch when I already had all of the ingredients out anyway.

And that's it!  Just a few minutes ensures I have a healthy lunch ready to go in the morning.  Do you meal plan?  I'd love to hear some other quick and easy fruits and vegetables besides grapes and carrots that I could throw in my lunches so feel free to share what you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment