My husband and I had an fantastic trip to Europe this month. It was packed full of amazing food, experiences, and tons of sightseeing. The great thing about this particular trip was that our hotels were right in the middle of the cities we were visiting which meant instead of spending tons of time on a coach, we were able to walk to most everywhere. This also led me to realize how out of shape having a desk job for the last year has made me. I don't want to wake up one day five years from now and find that I'm too out of shape to do these trips any more. There was definitely someone on our trip from another group that was barely able to keep up with the group while doing all that walking. So I'm making a commitment to try to be more fit, even if that means just walking more, which is still a big improvement from the activity I'm doing now, which is nothing. To kick start my fitness effort, I bought a few key items to help motivate me to make more of an effort to #getupandmove.
1. sports bra: [exact] I actually first bought this sports bra at Target in the pink shade and then loved it so much I went back for the black as well, which is what you see pictured. I wanted something that was comfortable but still had the same support and shape that a normal bra would offer without the weird uni-chest thing that a lot of sports bras do. After wearing the pink one during my trip on the flight over the ocean (turned out to be almost a 48 hour long day), I knew this bra was a winner. And I can tell you from experience that it gives great support if you have to run as fast as possible through Washington Dulles Airport to get from security to your gate in time for your flight. 😁
2. mossimo loose tank top: [similar] You can find this exact top in different colors at Target, but I got mine at Bealls Outlet for $3.99. While we were on our trip, I was really wishing I had a loose tank top to wear to sleep in, as our hotels were quite warm. This will serve double duty as sleep wear or work out wear. I think it would also be perfect for a round of golf!
3. fitbit alta in plum: [exact] I bought my fitbit at Target and didn't realize that at the time, with the alta model, there was a promotion for a $20 Target gift card for your next trip to Target. If you can't tell, I shop at Target a ton, so that was a great way to feel like I got it for a good price. This is the main thing that I think is really going to encourage me to move more, especially at work. I love that you can set reminders to walk every hour that you haven't walked 250 steps or more. I know I won't make my goal every day, but at least it will be a good reminder. I also love that this fitbit version can track your sleep and give you information about your sleep patterns. I'm really curious to see if I can get a more restful night of sleep if I can understand why I seem to always wake up tired, even after a full eight hours.
4. lounge pants with pockets: I picked up these lounge pants with pockets at Vanity Fair Outlet for a measly $3. I love that they have a thick elastic waist band and the large front pockets (my cell phone can fit inside) as well as the smaller zip pocket. The zip pockets would be great for a house key, garage door opener, or lip balm. Just perfect for if I want to go for a walk around the neighborhood without having to haul a purse or bag with me. But really I bought these as lounge wear because they were so cheap and I tend to run through lounge pants fast. They always seem to wear out at the seam where my thighs rub together. 😣
5. nike revolution 2 running shoes: [exact] Let's be honest, I don't actually plan on doing any running in these shoes. But I knew I needed a pair of walking shoes and the options are pretty small when you have to buy shoes in a wide size. I basically had four options at the outlet mall and these were the cutest pair and also they were on clearance for $39.99 at the Nike Outlet. The only other pair of athletic shoes I have are my Keds Champions, which I absolutely love, but they don't offer a lot of support when walking on cobblestone roads or dirt paths.
Update: I actually wrote the bulk of this post last week but during the summer I work four ten hour days so the work week is busy! I'm just now getting around to posting it and I thought it was worth mentioning my experience one week in with my fitbit. I've met my steps goal every day except Sunday. It's really been good to have something to motivate me and even my husband has gotten on board! He's currently using the fitbit charge hr and he loves it. I definitely recommend a fitbit or similar tracker if you need something to motivate you as well! 😃