Saturday, December 31, 2016
My Top 10 Makeup Products of 2016
Well there are only a few hours left in 2016 and it seemed like a good time to reflect on the makeup products that I relied on the most during this past year. I have my top ten, in no particular order, to share with you today. (And a little bonus of a few other great products, because more recommendations never hurt, right?)
1. elf makeup mist and set, $3.00 - I love this setting spray for taking away the powdery look after my face makeup is done. I also like that it doesn't make my makeup look dewy, but just blends everything together and makes it look more natural.
2. covergirl clean matte bb cream in fair, $7.99 - Over the summer I felt like everyone was raving about this bb cream. I gave it a try to see what all the hype was about and I have used it almost every day since. I don't usually want a lot of coverage but this just makes my complexion look really even without looking like I'm wearing a ton of makeup. This bottle is actually almost empty and you can assure I already have a backup ready to go!
3. maybelline colossal volum' express waterproof mascara in classic black, $7.77 - If you've been with me for a long time, you know I've loved this mascara for ages. However, lately I've noticed some flaking off in the inner corner. I love how it holds a curl though so I use it as my first layer of mascara.
4. covergirl clump crusher water resistant in very black, $7.99 - After applying colossal, I layer this on top and it still holds a curl but this mascara does a great job of not flaking and keep anything under it from flaking as well. It adds great length and some volume and I also love how it's water resistant but at the end of the day, it comes off really easily. These two mascaras paired together are a perfect match!
5. milani eyeshadow primer, $7.00 - I've tried other eyeshadow primers but I just always come back to this one. It does a great job of making my shadow last without creasing.
6. benefit erase paste in fair, $26.00 - I first tried this product back in December of 2015 and I've basically used it almost every day since then. I have extremely dark under eye circles and this is hands down the best item I've found to cover them. I love how emollient it is so it adds moisture to the dry under eye area yet is still incredibly opaque.
7. elf instant lift brow pencil in neutral brown, $2.00 - I love the ease of eyebrow pencils but they are usually too warm toned for me but this one is perfect! I've almost used the whole thing up and this is another item I already have a backup for. You can see how well loved this product is by how haggard the packaging is. For the two dollar price tag, I think you get an amazing product that comes in cheap packaging. As you can see, my spoolie end has broken and I've taped it back up. But I like it so much I could still use the pencil side and just a different spoolie.
8. rimmel scandaleyes waterproof kohl eyeliner in nude, $3.97 - This liner is great at making you look less tired when applied to the waterline. I use it almost every day. You can see I've used a lot of it up but it lasts a really long time. It's good stuff!
9. carmex classic lip balm, $0.98 - While this might not be considered a makeup item, seeing as how it's colorless, it would definitely be my absolute number one top makeup item. I have tubes of this in so many different places in my life. I use it absolutely every single day, many times a day. Even if I do nothing more than wash my face, I will always have this on. It's a dry lipped girl's dream come true!
10. essence matt touch blush in berry me up! - I'm not sure what the price of this item is or even if it is available in the USA yet but for my European friends, you need to get this! I bought mine while I was in Berlin this summer and I have been loving it every moment since then! It's just the easiest, quickest and most easy to blend blush. I've had to force myself to branch out to other ones ever since I bought this one.
11. manic panic dreamtone color corrector in virgin, $8.73 - This product has been amazing for me. I'm so fair that a lot of concealers and foundations are too dark for me, even in the lightest shade. I add just a bit of this to a product that is too dark and then I can make it work for me! I've used it most often mixed with the elf hd lifting concealer. However, beware that if you add a lot of it to say, a foundation, it can change the consistency of the foundation. I don't find it to be too big of an issue but it can make the foundation or concealer set faster than it normally would. But it's not a deal breaker by any means.
12. elf hd lifting concealer in fair, $3.00 - This concealer is fantastic! I love it for blemishes because (when combined with the color corrector) it blends out amazingly, lasts really well throughout the day, and is easy to work with. I've already gone through one or two other tubes of this and I have a backup too. For three bucks, I can keep one in my bag for touchups too.
13. milani color statement lipstick in pretty natural, $6.00 - This is the perfect professional lipstick. There've been several times that I've had an impromptu meeting on days where I hadn't done my hair or makeup as nicely as I'd like and I just throw this on and immediately feel more put together. I even have two tubes of it, one for my makeup desk and one in my purse.
14. essence sheer and shine lipstick in bff, $2.99 - This is a lipstick that just makes your face immediately look brighter and healthier. It gives just enough color and shine to really give something back to your face without looking unnatural.
15. maybelline baby lips in cherry me, $4.49 - This product is quite similar to the sheer and shine lipstick but it's more moisturizing. I don't feel like I need a mirror to apply it and it works with any other makeup you're wearing. Just like the milani lipstick, I have two of these so I can have one in my purse and one in my makeup desk.
16. elf mad for matte eyeshadow palette, $10.00 - I switch around with eyeshadow a ton and rarely use the same thing more than once a week but I find myself going back to this palette a lot. Every shadow in it is fantastic and the palette is great on its own but also works really well with other shimmery shadows. It's got all of the basic matte shadows a girl could want and I really love it. If you like matte shadows and don't have it yet, go to Target and get one! You won't regret it.
17. essence gel eye pencil waterproof in black blaze, $2.99 - This liner is amazing for tightlining! It's really black and goes on smoothly but lasts fantastically on the upper waterline. I haven't really tried it elsewhere on my eyes, but for that purpose, it's wonderful.
18. wet n wild color icon eyeshadow single in brulee, $0.99 - This little eyeshadow is a total workhorse and I use it almost every day. It makes a great brow highlight shade because it's matte. I also like to use it a lot all over the lid with just a medium matte shadow in the crease. It's a basic that gets a ton of use from me and I've been through multiples of this little shadow.
What makeup products were a staple for you in 2016? I'd love to hear any product recommendations you have! What's your favorite drugstore makeup item?