Tuesday, August 23, 2016

What I Eat in a Day: Work Day

I thought it would be fun to share some samples of what I eat in a day.  I always love to see these types of posts because it gives me ideas on different things I can try to spice up my eating life.  Today I'm sharing a typical day of meals for a work day for me.

Breakfast:

I'm usually eating breakfast super early and just don't have the time or energy to make anything fancy.  Most days I like to stick to cereal.  Yesterday, I had this yummy Almonds & Oats cereal with about a half cup of Unsweetened Original Almond Milk.  I'm both diabetic and lactose intolerant so this is a staple in our fridge.  I also use a digital food scale to measure the amount I eat so I know how much insulin to take.  Measuring my food also helps me to control portions.  This is one serving of cereal, according to the box.



After my cereal, I like to make a cup of coffee and sit down to put on my makeup while I sip it.  Since I'm diabetic, I stick to sucralose and sugar free creamer.  Hazelnut is my favorite!

Morning Snack:

That cereal doesn't keep me full the entire morning (at this point, it had already been four hours since breakfast) so I like to have a healthy snack around.  Yesterday I had a banana.

Lunch:

These days I'm trying to keep my lunches both healthy and yummy.  I had carrots, grapes, and a ham and cheese sandwich on a hamburger bun.  

Pre-workout Snack:

I get home from work pretty early most days and then I like to work out.  That puts a good bit of time between lunch and dinner so I try to have a healthy snack.  What I eat depends on what kind of workout I do.  I was doing strength training this day so I had a smaller snack of a mandarin and some unsalted peanuts and raisins.  On cardio days I have to eat something that will keep my blood sugar from plummeting during my workout.

Dinner:

After my workout, I usually shower and then eat dinner.  Yesterday's entree was leftovers from the night before: chicken thighs, artichokes, carrots, and white rice seasoned with a bit of fat free Italian dressing and pesto.  The original recipe is here but we modify it a bit to suit us and depending on what vegetables we have around the house.



Since there wasn't that much veggies in the entree, I also had a side salad.  It started with a handful of spinach leaves.  Then I added just a tiny bit of shredded cheese, some chipped carrots and broccoli, and mild banana pepper rings.  For dressing, I'm trying out the Athenos Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing.  It has way less calories than regular ranch.  I also do the thing where you pour the dressing in a small dish and then dip your fork in instead of dumping all the dressing on top of the salad.  I'm not sure about this ranch though.  It tastes different than the Hidden Valley Ranch I usually eat but I still think it's good and tastes way better than most light ranch dressings.

Dessert:

Then there is my weakness: dessert!  I'm trying really hard to lose the weight my doctor told me I need to lose and skipping dessert is so hard for me!  I have the willpower to pass on almost any foods out there: fried foods, cookies, brownies, chips, soda... but ice cream has always been my weakness.  And not even necessarily ice cream, but all frozen desserts.  When I found these Outshine bars are made with real fruit and are only 60 calories, I thought they were worth a try.  They are really good and satisfy my desire for daily dessert.  Eventually I would like to try making my own frozen fruit bars so I ordered some dishwasher safe popsicle molds from Amazon but they won't be here for a couple of days.

And that's it!  I'd love to hear what you all eat in a day too!  I love getting ideas on new things to try.  Leave me a comment on the blog, Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram!  All my social media links are at the top right of my blog page.  😀

No comments:

Post a Comment