Friday, June 24, 2016

Bitzy Custom Compact Eyeshadows


Early this week, I popped into Sally Beauty Supply to repurchase my current favorite heat protectant spray.  While I was there, I checked out the product line Bitzy, which replaced the Sally Girl line.  I immediately noticed the custom compact eyeshadows (they were on sale for $1.49 each!) and accompanying quad palettes and knew I wanted to try some out in hopes of them working out for my upcoming trip to Germany, Czech Republic, and Poland next week.  I ended up liking the four I bought so much that I went back the next day and bought eight more [on Instagram]!  Now I've had a few days to play with them and I have some thoughts on these affordable shadows.



First, let's talk about the compacts.  I picked up two of those.  These were the only two designs my Sally Beauty had in stock but I see on their website that they seem to have pink compacts as well.  When I purchased them, they had a protective cover on the front and also a plastic sleeve inside to protect the magnetic section of the palette.  As you can see from the very top photo, the palette comes with an applicator and four round sections for the shadows to fit into.  Let's just get it out of the way: I think the applicator is useless.  It's incredibly scratchy and I wouldn't use it to apply shadow for fear of it irritating the sensitive skin around my eyes.  A double sided sponge tip would have been a better choice.  The sponge tip that comes with Cover Girl quads fits nicely into that center compartment though.  It's also worth noting that if you already have a Unii palette, Z palette, or other magnetic palette, it's not necessary to buy the coordinating quad palettes.  These shadows magnetize beautifully to any palette of the sort.

I was curious if it was possible to remove the top so that you could use this palette to hold any size or shape of product you wanted.  The top part easily pops out.  However, the thin sheet of magnet that holds the shadows in is not actually attached to the compact.  The top section holds it in.  So if you wanted to use this palette for that purpose, you would need to  secure the magnetic sheet with glue or double sided tape.



And now let's get to the most fun part: the eyeshadows!  First, let's talk about the packaging.



Each shadow comes in a small cardboard box and resides in a plastic sleeve that protects the shadow.  However, I did find that quite a few of my shadows had some damage to the metal pan that caused it to have dents either in the pan or in the actual shadows.  They're still usable but it's something to look out for if you're shopping for these.  The name of the shade is written on the top left of the box.  However, it is not written anywhere on the actual pan of the shadow.  So if you take the shadow out of the box to put it in a compact, you will no longer have the name of the shade anywhere.  While not a deal breaker, that's definitely something I thought was worth noting.



To remedy this, I used a thin permanent marker to write the name of each shade on the bottom of the pan and then covered it with a bit of clear nail polish to keep the marker from transferring to the compact.  (I've noticed that is a problem with some of the items in my Unii palette and now my pretty palette has marker all over the bottom.)  



Now that you know what to expect from the packaging, let's talk about the most fun part, the shadows!  I purchased twelve total shadows and have them divided into three "quads".



This is the quad that I decided to bring with me to Europe.  These four shades are all right up my alley.  They are neutral and easy to work with.  We'll go left to right.

Aú Naturale - cream, matte finish
High Spirited - light pink, metallic finish
Beach Bronze - light tan, satin finish
Bonfire Attire - plummy brown, satin finish

I just love this quad!  Aú Naturale is the perfect highlight shade for me and I also love it as a natural looking all over lid shade to cancel out veining and imperfections.  I love wearing it all over with Beach Bronze in the crease as a very natural eye look.  Beach Bronze would also make a good transition shade.  I love the way High Spirited looks in the inner corner of the eyes to brighten things up and it would also make a good lid shade but beware that it's super frosty looking.  I think Bonfire Attire would make a great crease shade if you wanted a bit more contrast.  I also think it would make a nice one shadow look.



In this swatch photo, it's kind of hard to see Aú Naturale but don't be fooled: it's quite pigmented but it's hard to see because it blends in with my skin so well.  I think all of these shadows are great and worth looking into if you're into these kinds of colors and finishes.



Next up, we have the second quad.  Neutrals and some plummy tones.

Cloud Nine - white, shimmer finish
Subtle Flare - light mauve, satin finish
Caramel Latte - light tan, satin finish
Beauty Mark - plum, satin finish



These shadows I have some mixed feelings about.  Cloud Nine is awesome, especially as an inner corner color.  It's quite pigmented, though less frosty than High Spirited and more of a pure white.  Subtle Flare is most definitely subtle and by that I mean that it barely shows up.  I would recommend passing on that one, as there is just no color payoff.  Caramel Latte came off looking very similar to Beach Bronze in my opinion but a little lighter.  I think you probably don't need both of them so I wold recommend Beach Bronze if you're trying to decide between the two.  Beauty Mark is a real star in this palette.  It's pigmented and really pretty.  I love the way it looks with my green eyes.



The last quad is not really a quad but more like the four shades that didn't really go with anything else.  They are currently residing in my small Z palette.  It's worth mentioning that this small Z palette can hold nine of these shadow pans.

Freshly Minted - bright mint green, matte finish
Moonstone - white, glitter finish
Fashionista - light purple, metallic finish
Pure Silver - blue toned silver, metallic finish



These are the shades that I am least likely to use.  Freshly Minted is actually pretty good but I just don't think I'll use that color much because it's so bold.  But I wanted another matte from this collection and that was the only matte besides Aú Naturale.  I actually wish they had more mattes, as I really like the mattes from this line!  This one would be good if you like more bold colors.  Moonstone is the absolute worst out of the shades that I bought.  There is virtually no color payoff at all.  What you do get is a bunch of fine glitter particles that will fall out all over your face and never seem to go away.  I was really disappointed in this shade and would recommend you to pass on it.  Fashionista and Pure Silver and nice for what they are but I feel like they are just not unique at all.  I have an entire palette from Coastal Scents full of shades that are really similar to these.  However, for what they are, they are nice and pretty if you're looking for shades like that.

Overall, these shadows are a bit hit and miss but I feel like for the most part, they were quite good.  I'm really happy I bought them and I'm looking forward to having my personalized quad of eyeshadows for my trip.  I'm hoping my Sally Beauty will stock more of these shadows soon too, as they have a lot more listed on their website that I was interested in but couldn't find at my local store.  For $1.69 regular price each, these palettes and shadows are a great way to explore some different colors without a big risk.  I would recommend them for sure!

3 comments:

  1. The inside looks like the old ELF quad palettes. They still sell the sponge applicators for them, so that might be an option for replacing them. I think I want some of those eyeshadows, and the palettes would be nice, too. I'd probably stick the magnet down with E6000 glue and use them for weekends away instead of lugging around my large z-palettes. Overall it all looks so fun, and I LOVE the two quads you put together. They are perfect for everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, E6000 would be a great idea! I know I have some of that around too. They definitely remind me of the old elf quads but for some reason I just never got into those at the time. I also wonder if the Coastal Scents Hot Pots would fit in well. I don't have any of those to try out but I might order some when I get back from my trip.

      Delete
    2. You know, I have one of those quads and have been thinking of buying a magnetic sheet to replace the metal plate with. Now with these I don't think I will need to! I also don't know about the hotpots and am curious as to what else could fit, like the MUG pans.

      Enjoy your trip! Have a lovely time. :)

      Delete