Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Decluttering My Stash

Now that October is over, things are slowing down for me at work.  So I took some time this weekend to relax and declutter my stash.  It was something that needed done for awhile.  The hardest part was figuring out where to start so I wanted to share my process in hopes that someone else might find it helpful to get them started as well.



I started by putting every last piece of makeup that I own (including all the random lip products in my purse) into this basket and taking it downstairs, away from my makeup area.  There was a specific reason that I wanted to move everything away from there.  Sometimes when I go through my makeup one drawer at a time, I'm more likely to keep products I don't enjoy that much just because I sort of have a mind set that I can keep it if there is room in that drawer of my stash.  Changing locations eliminated that excuse.

Next, I went through my lip products and quickly sorted into different bins.  I tried to only take two to three seconds to decide on each product to either Keep, Maybe, or Toss.

Keep: Items that I love and would never dream of getting rid of.
Maybe: Items that need further thought.
Toss: Items that are old, gross and need thrown away.  For example, I had a lot of pretty old Essence lip glosses that had separated and were disgusting and I was afraid to use them.



That yellow line in the top is where the product has separated out.  Ew!  These glosses were the entire reason I decided to do this declutter.

After the initial sort, I went back and did a second, more thoughtful sort of the Maybe bin, swatching if need be.  Anything I still couldn't decide for sure on got put into one drawer in my makeup area which I am designating as "Makeup Purgatory".  I'll leave it there for a month or so and any products that I miss and reach for can be added back into the main collection.  At the end of the month, anything I haven't reached for can then be tossed or donated to friends.  I also do this sort of thing when I purge my closet as well.

After finishing all the lip products, I did the same with the other products, by category.  This is what I ended up setting aside for "Makeup Purgatory".




And I ended up throwing away quite a bit that was just old and I wouldn't feel comfortable donating to someone.  I'd feel pretty bad if a friend ended up with pink eye or a horrible rash from something I gave them that should have just been thrown away.  I don't tend to worry as much about powders going bad but I had some liquid and cream products that had an odd smell or had separated that I just tossed.  I'd love to hear from anyone that has a different system for decluttering also!  I feel like this might just be round one and I'll probably end up coming back around in a month or so to declutter some more and any advice on strategy would be most welcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment