Thursday, March 26, 2015

Review: Sonia Kashuk Brush and Sponge Cleanser


Today I'm doing a quick review of the Sonia Kashuk Brush and Sponge Cleanser.  This product is available at Target and I paid $6.99 for my bottle.  This cleanser is meant to be used when you deep clean your makeup brushes or sponges.  I've been using this every week for the last four or five weeks now.



How I Use It: Once a week, I deep clean my makeup brushes that I've used.  (I also should mention that I use this recipe to clean my brushes every night so they don't get too gross and also to remove color before my next use.)  To deep clean, I use warm water to wet my brushes.  In my left hand, I spray the brush cleanser and then use my right hand to swirl the brush in the cleanser and swish around.  Then I rinse the brush until the water runs clear and repeat with the cleanser if necessary until the brush is fully clean.

Pros: Gets your brushes clean and does work pretty well.  Seems to work especially well in removing cream or liquid products like foundation or concealer from brushes.

Cons: Smells strong and chemically when using it, though the scent disappears when the brushes are rinsed.  Noticeably dries out my left hand where the cleanser gets sprayed.  That makes me wonder if it's drying out my brushes too.  They seem soft afterward but I swear they were softer when I used to just use baby shampoo to clean them.  I have to use quite a bit of this spray for my larger brushes.  My large stipple bronzer brush often gets sprayed with about 14 pumps before it comes clean.

Is It A Must Have?  I don't really think so.  Now that I've tried it out, I'll probably stick to only using it to clean my cream or liquid products from my brushes, as it seems to really work well for that.  Powders come out just fine with baby shampoo for me and I'll probably go back to just baby shampoo when this is gone.  It's way cheaper, just as fast, and doesn't leave my hands or brushes feeling as dry after.  What I'll probably end up doing is diluting my baby shampoo with water and using this spray bottle for that.  The spray bottle is definitely more convenient than trying to dump out just the right amount of baby shampoo.

Would I Buy It Again?  Probably not.  I just didn't think it was that awesome and baby shampoo works just as well for me for the most part and is much cheaper.

Has anyone else tried this product?  I'd love to hear some other opinions and maybe tips on how to clean those larger brushes without using so much product.

No comments:

Post a Comment