Monday, March 2, 2015

February Budget

At the beginning of February, I had mentioned that my husband and I were setting a $150 budget for spending each month and keeping track of what we spent.  I actually am a total nerd about this sort of thing and I set up a spreadsheet on my tablet to keep track of my spending.  It really made me think more about my spending and helped me to work harder to find sales, deals, and ways to save money.  I came in about twelve dollars under budget, which was better than what hubby did!  Here's what I came out with.


Here's all the makeup I bought in February.  It was definitely a lipstick heavy month.  I never used to really be that into lipstick but I'm learning how much lipstick can really bring some life to your face, especially when you are tired.  I also bought two new foundations to replace the ones I threw away or used up.  All of my old foundations were between two and five years old and they were definitely in need of replacing.


I also stocked up on storage this month and found all of these items for a really good price.  The larger glass dishes were from the Dollar Tree.  The small acrylic lipstick holder is from Amazon and the larger one is from Home Goods.  The small blue bottle will be mentioned in its own separate post later this week.


Finally, I bought a few random things.  At Walgreens next to the school where my husband teaches, I found a hooded sweatshirt on clearance that has his school logo on it.  It was a great deal so I picked one up for me and a T-shirt for hubby, which went on his monthly budget.  I also got some Sonia Kashuk Makeup brush cleaner, shelf liner, and a couple of makeup brushes.

So that's how I spent my monthly budget.  Next month, I have my eyes on a few higher ticket items that I've really been wanting.  Reflecting on my purchases, I think I've spent a lot of time doing what I call "lonely shopping".  My husband is coaching lacrosse and he's been gone a lot lately.  I've been doing a lot of the grocery shopping by myself and I find myself often at Target on a Friday night shopping to keep myself busy.  Luckily, in just a few weeks, we'll both be on Spring Break and get to spend some time together.  We have some fun plans to do a bit of shopping one of our days off together so I'm going to try to "save" all of my shopping money for then.  I'm also trying to be better about making a shopping list of the makeup I want because normally I get to the store, get distracted by all the pretty, fun new things and forget to buy the thing I actually went in to get!  This month I'll try to focus more and do less impulse shopping.

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done! I'm currently on a no buy on certain items and I have done well. It's just about done. In that time however I have reevaluated some things and my buying habits. I'm planning to stick with a no buy in some areas and a low buy in others. I totally get the lonely shopping. Mine would be more along the lines of frustrated shopping. Where I work, CVS and Walgreens are in walking distance and Ulta is not even 10 minutes from me. When I get frustrated or upset at work, I end up in one of these stores. I'm hoping with the warmer weather coming, I'll just talk a walk vs going somewhere and spend money that I don't need to spend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I never thought to just take a walk instead! That is so simple yet so genius. Hubby's lacrosse season ends next week or the week after, depending on how far the team goes in playoffs so I'm hoping with him here to keep me company, my lonely shopping days will be over. It can be hard though when shopping becomes your bad habit. At least it isn't as bad as a lot of other bad habits though!

      Delete