Monday, February 16, 2015

Makeup Fails


I have a few makeup fails to share with you today.  These items are so bad that I'm struggling to even find a way to use them and I'm thinking about just tossing them.  That's rare for me, as I hate to waste money but sometimes I just go for those impulse buys without doing my research and end up with some items I'm just not happy about.  That's the case with all four of these.

Cover Girl Clean Oil Control Foundation in Ivory
I'm not sure if the problem with this foundation is the formula or the fact that my bottle is so old.  I found blog posts from 2012 where I wrote about trying to use this up so it's at least two years old.  I think I didn't love it in the first place either but it's just awful for me right now.  It's too light, it's hard to blend, and the finish on my skin is just awful.  There's nothing like looking at your face after you apply your first bit of makeup and seeing that your skin is not even, but rather more streaky and patchy than before you started.  My skin is not particularly dry right now (except right around my eyes, where I don't apply this) but it somehow seems to find an area that is the least bit dry and just cling to it.  Also, I suspect it may have been the cause of some break outs about two weeks ago.

Pacifica Color Quench Natural Moisture Lip Tint in Guava Berry
Where do I even begin with this one?  Number one: in my opinion, tinted lip balm should change the color of your lips, at least slightly.  This does nothing and barely has any color even when swatched on the hand.  Number two: it's not very hydrating either.  That said, it pretty much has nothing going for it and I have no desire to use it at all when I have so many other more awesome lip products.

NYC Big Bold Volume by the Lash Mascara
I really should have done my homework on this mascara.  Shame on my impulses for steering me wrong.  There are a number of faults with this mascara for me, however I could see this working for someone else.  It has a ginormous rubber bristle brush which is hard for me to maneuver.  The brush is similar to Cover Girl Lash Blast but actually the spikes are longer and pick up more product.  The brush picks up so much product that even if I wipe as much of it off onto a tissue as possible, it is still coated with way too much mascara that turns my lashes into nasty goopy spiders.  The brush just sucks in my opinion.  I thought maybe trying it with a different brush would help, so I used an old empty tube of Maybelline Colossal Volum Express and just used the brush from it.  Still no go.  The formula of the mascara also sucks.  It's too wet and therefore still goops up my lashes, even with a different brush.  It flakes big time and then the flakes smear and leave black streaks on my face.  I could go on, but I think you get the point.  Lash Blast definitely has a better formula.  The only thing I can say for this mascara is that it's really black and holds a curl decently but all the downfalls make it not worth it to me.

Nyx Jumbo Lip Pencil in Pink Nude
My problem with this product lies solely in the color that I selected.  I have other shades of these jumbo pencils that I really like but this particular color is a very light, very frosty pink.  The shade reminds me of a lipgloss that I wore way too much back in eighth grade.  However, I am no longer fourteen and this shade is not flattering on me now and probably wasn't flattering back then either.  But that is totally my fault for not looking for swatch samples before buying this.


So that's my beef with these products.  When you find something that is a makeup fail for you, do you try to use it up, or just toss it?  I really think that I hate these four things so much I just want to toss them.  It seems a shame to force myself to use these items that I really hate when I have so many items in my collection that I could be using instead that I love.  What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. Toss them! Not worth it to let your good things sit while you struggle through. You already spent the money so ur not wasting any more. You'll forget about those things next month :-) considerit a "declutter" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cristina: I love the idea of calling it a declutter! I'm all about decluttering right now so you're just making perfect sense to me! :)

      Delete
    2. Yes I think that's the best way to go. If a product is just okay I will try to finish it but I'm down struggling through products. I find this especially true to mascaras that smudge or transfer. Out and on to the next one lol (i buy most on clearance and super sale or get them in kits)

      Delete
  2. If it's something I'm just meh about, I'll force myself to use it up. But if it sucks that bad, then I toss it!! I used to force myself to use up everything, but not anymore. Life is too short to walk around w/your face in a mess b/c of some crap products! Like I've found over the last few years that I never use powder eyeshadows anymore--just shadow pencils. So recently I got rid of ALL of my eyeshadow (except for the L'Oreal Infallibles which are amazing enough that if I'm gonna use any shadows, it's gonna be them) I bring most of my reject products in to work & let the girls there pick out what they want (obviously the things that'd be unsanitary to give away get tossed) When you do purge all of the junk products, just consider it a lesson learned & know that you'll try harder in the future to avoid impulse buys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, that's a good philosophy. I'm loving your idea that life's too short for terrible makeup!

      Delete