Monday, January 5, 2015

Joy in the Simple Things

This post is a little late for the new year, but I needed a few days to recoup and relax after my travels so better late than never.  I'm not not usually the kind of person who does the whole new years resolution deal.  I've tried it in the past and I never stick with it.  And I'm not really into that whole "new year, new me" thing either because I'm honestly pretty happy with the person that I am.  But it never hurts to reflect on life (especially when you have some time off from work) and how you're living it.  The conclusion I came to is simply that I want to do exactly what this graphic says.


[source]
Find joy in the simple things.

I find that a lot of times society seems to be pressuring us to lead these photo-ready, Instagram-worthy lives of partying and hanging out and going out and doing things and to be honest, I feel more like a Hobbit than a Barbie.  I just want to stay home and enjoy the simple moments.  In my opinion, Tolkien totally had it right.  "It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life."  So while every now and then it's fun to have an adventure worth writing about, most of the time I just want to stay home and drink a cup of coffee and snuggle my cats while Brian and I watch a movie.  And there's nothing wrong with that if those moments bring me joy.  So this year my only resolution is to remind myself that it's okay to find joy in the simple things.

And if beautiful graphics like the one above are also your thing, check out LostBumblebee.  This is not a sponsored post nor does she even know I exist but I just love her graphics.  They make great backgrounds for your computer, tablet or phone... and pretty things are one of the simple things that bring me joy.  :-D 

4 comments:

  1. Yes!! I was lucky to be home from Christmas through New Year's. It was fun just being at home do this and that or just plain nothing at all. If I did run out, my hair was pulled back minus any makeup. It was a nice change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great week to me!! Low key is really how I like to spend my free time.

      Delete
  2. Love this, times a million! I really like myself too and you really hit the nail on the head with the "new year new me" concept. So trite 😅 My family spends all of our free time just hanging around. We really appreciate not having to pretend to be perfect. Plus, who doesn't love just being at home in pjs while binging on The Big Bang Theory 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'm just a happy hermit and sometimes my friends and coworkers just don't get that.

      Delete