Friday, December 12, 2014

Something to Smile About


Yesterday I went to the orthodontist for an adjustment.  I had pretty much given up on asking them how long I had left in braces because for the last three years, every time I'd ask I would get the same answer, "About another year".  But after three years in a row of that answer, I just stopped asking.  But I knew when my parents and family saw me for the fourth Christmas in a row with braces, everyone would be grilling me about when I saw going to get those braces off.  So I finally bit the bullet and asked the orthodontist for an estimate.  Here's how the conversation went:

Me: Do you have any idea when I might be able to get my braces off?
Ortho: Hmmm.... May.
Me: MAY?!?!  Like this May, or May two years from now?
Ortho: (taken aback) No, this May.
Me: Are you serious?!
Ortho: Yes, you're making good progress.  Now that's not a guarantee but if things keep going the way they are now, May.
Me: Oh my goodness, you just made my day!
Ortho: You made my day!  Normally my patients are never this happy!  At first I thought you were upset.
Me: Are you kidding?  You just gave me an awesome Christmas present!  You're the best!

So then we were both laughing and suddenly I have something to smile about again.  So this morning after taking my outfit photos (which I will post another day), I had to stop and take some smiley pictures to share my news.  And after editing these photos, I finally see what the orthodontist is talking about.  When I look in the mirror, the remaining gap looks huge to me.  In pictures, it's barely noticeable.  Can you tell?  The photo below was one I tried to take specifically to show the gap that's left and while it does appear a bit larger in person (to me at least), I think it's really hard to see in these pictures.



And last, I have a picture I took this morning side by side with a picture from my first few days in braces.  I'm loving the progress so far and really excited to see what happens in the next sixth months.  How much easier it would be to floss without a metal fence in my mouth!



No comments:

Post a Comment