Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Holiday Road Trip: Packing Toiletries

If you missed any of the previous posts in this mini-series, you can find them here:


To me, packing toiletries is one of the most annoying parts of traveling.  It's those items that are necessary but no fun and take up quite a bit of space, at least for me.  I've found over the years, a few things that are helpful for me.

1. Invest in useful toiletry bags.  Now this might be different for each person, depending on your needs.  I've found that the two pictured above are perfect for me and even though I have tons of these types of bags, I always come back to these two.  The zebra striped Modella valet bag I purchased at Walmart a few years ago.  Second is a bag that came free with a Venus razor kit ages ago.  [similar here]  I really like this Venus bag because it is virtually spill proof and it is large enough to fit a full size bottle of shampoo, or lots of small items.  Generally, in this bag I keep items that might leak and items that I will unpack onto the sink or into the shower once I arrive.  In the hanging bag, I keep items that I don't want to leave out (like dental floss) but still need quick access to.  We stay with my in-laws and they have wire shelves in the linen closet in the bathroom that we use so I can hang the hook inside the closet and easily get to anything I need.


Inside of Venus bag
One great thing about the Venus bag is how wide the pouches are on either side.  They easily are wide enough for large bottles which means there is no struggle to zip up the sides.  Then the whole things zips around again.


Modella valet, unrolled
The disadvantage of this Modella valet is that if you stuff it too full, the zippers will still zip but it won't velcro shut when you roll it.  Or if it does velcro, it becomes huge.  I find it works well for things like floss, makeup remover wipes, and other smaller items that get lost easily and need to be organized.

2. Invest in travel size.  I'm not saying you have to buy every item in the travel size aisle because sometimes that costs way more than the full size.  I find the reusable bottles are great for transferring things like face wash, shampoo, and conditioner from the full size bottle.  You can even use empty prescription bottles, contact cases, or other containers.  I save small jars like those that store gel eyeliner or my Pixi Correction Concentrate because they make great containers for things like my Bed Head After Party hair product.  Save space and save money by recycling!  Things I usually buy in prepackaged travel size include shave gel and hair products.  Sally Beauty Supply is a great place to get travel size hair products.  I also found my favorite dry shampoo, Salon Grafix Invisible Dry Shampoo in travel size at CVS.  While it's a bit pricey, it will save me a ton of space and weight in my bag to downsize these products.

And don't forget to come back tomorrow for some information on how I pack my makeup!

2 comments:

  1. I really like that hanging cosmetics bag! Great idea! I need to see if Walmart still carries something similar next time I go. Thanks for the post. Enjoy your holiday with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will definitely enjoy my stay! I think Walmart still has similar hanging bags, just maybe not that exact print. I saw some cute ones on their website.

      Delete