Thursday, December 18, 2014

Holiday Road Trip: Makeup

Welcome back for another post in my Holiday Road Trip mini-series!  Here's a recap of the posts so far:



The first few times I traveled back to Pennsylvania after moving to Florida, I took an entire train case of makeup back with me.  After getting a little more mature and a little more realistic, I know can fit all my makeup and my brushes and supplies into this little Modella bag that I got a few years ago at Walmart.  I searched their website, but couldn't find a similar one to link to but I'm sure they have lots of sizes and shapes in stores.


When you open up the main bag, there is a lid with a zippered pouch.  The pouch is great for small items.  In mine I have Carmex lip balm, two eye liners, and tweezers.  On top of my makeup is another bag, which holds my brushes and other supplies.


This black bag came from a large Caboodles kit very similar to this one that I bought a few years ago.  It's perfect for holding brushes and can even accommodate full size eye brushes but you'll need short face brushes because those tend to be longer.  I was able to fit every brush that I use on an everyday basis.  The bottom of this bag also has more storage.



Inside I have a small microfiber cloth, which I mostly use to wipe makeup off my hands.  Under that, I have my eyelash curler, some travel size and sample size perfumes (the large one is Cherry Vanilla and I honestly have no idea what the little one is), Q-tips, and a mascara wand.  I usually toss a travel size pack of tissues in there too but I didn't have any on hand when I took this picture.


If you remove the black bag, my makeup is stashed underneath.  There are two reasons for storing the black bag inside.  #1 It takes up less space than storing them separately.  #2 It gives my makeup some added padding so it doesn't smack around inside the case.  For this trip, I tried to really keep things minimal because I know I'm going to be really busy.  I just packed my favorites and tried to stick to makeup that would work with any outfit.  Here's what I'm bringing:

Jane Blush in Blushing Petal - This is not necessarily a favorite blush but it's a rosy shade that is close to my natural flush color and matte.  It goes with everything and perks up your face while still looking natural.
Physician's Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Face Powder in Translucent Light - I've been using this ever since my beloved Healthy Wear powder was discontinued and I ran out.  I don't like it as much just because it creates a lot of dust when applied but it works just as well.  I wear it as my foundation on a daily basis.
NYX Eyeshadow Singles in Dark Brown and Bare My Soul - Dark Brown is actually a medium dark brown and Bare My Soul is a matte taupe.  They make a perfect natural look when combined with a matte highlight.
Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express Mascara in Classic Black - My favorite go-to mascara.  Although after looking at the forecast of rain, rain, rain I'll probably end up packing the waterproof version of this as well.
Pixi Brightening Peach Correction Concentrate - I've been using this to hide my dark circles which will definitely be bad when I'm running on less sleep than usual during my trip.
Wet N Wild Shadow Single in Brulee - A wonderful matte highlight that I use almost every day.
Hard Candy Shadow Duo in High Maintenance - One of my favorite shadows ever.  Super versatile and looks great with my green eyes.  Dramatic without being over the top.  Easy to apply.
Maybelline Super Stay 24Hr Concealer - My skin has been pretty clear lately but travel often causes me to break out.  I'll bring it just in case but hopefully I don't need it!
Travel Size Too Faced Shadow Insurance - I save this specifically for travel since it's so small.
(In the zippered pouch:)
Carmex Lip Balm - My lips tend to get really chapped when I'm in the cold.
Hard Candy Glamoflauge Concealer Pencil - I like to use this on the lower waterline when I'm really tired to perk my eyes up.  When I'm at home for a short time, I often don't get much sleep.
Maybelline Unstoppable Eyeliner in Espresso - Fairly new to me, bought just for this trip since it doesn't require a pencil sharpener.  Now I'm in love and I've used it every day since I bought it.  Can also double as a liner for the lower waterline if I want a more dramatic look.

Last but not least, I always pack a travel mirror.  I have this one and it's nothing fancy but it does the trick for traveling.  I like that it has the magnified side too so I can still pluck my uni brow while traveling.  I don't want to look like this in my holiday photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment