Friday, October 24, 2014

Dress Form


I am totally in love with this dress.  I kind of want to wear it every day.  I've already worn it before here.  There are just so many different ways to style this super basic black dress.  For Thursday (the day these photos were taken), I wore it with opaque black tights, my new cognac boots, and a burgundy infinity scarf.  In these photos, the tights look less opaque than in person, but I think maybe that's because of the flash on my camera.  Anyway, I digress.


This dress is awesome because it has sleeves and can be worn alone or can easily be layered with a jacket, a blazer, a scarf, necklace, boots, flats... you get the point.  But there's one small problem.  It needs some serious alterations.  At first glance, it may look fine, but let's get really detailed by taking a closer look at my "double teapot" photo.


The arrows on the top show where the shoulders hit on me.  Because I'm only 4'11" tall, I struggle to find clothes that are not petite size that fit me, especially in the shoulders.  Apparently I have really narrow shoulders and even sometimes I have trouble finding petite shirts where that area fits correctly.  However, that's a pretty basic and easy alteration that I know how to do.  Next, the two lower arrows are pointing out the fact that the sides of this dress also need taken in a bit.  That's a super easy alteration.  The big problem is that these alterations are a lot harder to figure out how to do perfectly without a dress form.  But adjustable dress forms are quite expensive and still hard to get the perfect size to fit one's unique shape.  When I saw that for around $10, I could make my own, uniquely me dress form (DIY tutorial here), I was all about it.  So this weekend, hubby will be wrapping me up like a paper mâché piñata and making me a personalized dress form.  I already have a few projects lined up, including the chevron version of this dress.

Funny story about that chevron dress... last weekend, I decided to make the shoulder and waist alterations to it.  I removed both sleeves then took in the waist... and then I couldn't figure out how to get the sleeves lined up correctly again!  After quite a bit of fiddling, I finally figured it out but then I wasn't sure where exactly they should be put back on because every time I tried the dress on with the sleeves pinned in place, I just got stabbed a million times with pins (I seriously have scratch marks from them on my shoulders) but couldn't line them up.  Hence the need for the dress form... I can't wear that dress again until I get it sewn back together!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE to alter my own clothes! I feel so accomplished by doing such a simple task! This outfit is fantastic! I might have to hunt down those boots. I've got a friend who went through fashion courses in college and that DIY dressform tutorial was roughly the same way they made their own dressforms. She still has it almost 10 years later! I can't wait to see how it turns out for you. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey, 1.The boots are from Belk and they are super comfortable and actually fit my wider calves because they have a large stretch section in the back. If you download their app, there are often coupons that you can use even if an item is on sale. These were 40% off plus my 20% off coupon on my phone. :) 2. I also love to alter my own clothes! It makes it easier to shop knowing that if there are small things about a garment that make it an imperfect fit, I can often make a few small tweaks by myself and have custom-fit clothes. It's a great skill to have, as it saves a ton of money on tailoring and makes it easier to shop for my unique size.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see how the dress form turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Right now it's only a half finished project but I'm hoping to have time next weekend to finish it and try it out!

      Delete