Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Does Dress Code Matter?


Today at work we had a faculty meeting and it came to light at our meeting that our boss is actually not allowed to tell us how to dress.  Who knew?!  Apparently there is no official dress code for teachers where I work.  According to my boss, we are allowed to wear jeans every day if we want and she is not allowed to tell us what to wear or what not to wear.  Of course, there was lots of talk afterwards.  Some teachers said they will be wearing jeans, T-shirts and sneakers for the rest of their career.  To be honest, I don't think it will change anything for me.  I enjoy my collared shirts, skirts, dresses, and slacks.  I'm sure I'll occasionally wear jeans on a half day or every now and then (still on Fridays) but overall, I don't think this will change how I dress at work.  Now that doesn't mean I wear super dressy clothes on the weekend.  When I'm on my own time, I love my jeans, hoodies and comfy clothes as much as the next person.

A coworker and I were talking after the meeting and we both sort of agreed that dressing professionally makes us feel more professional and therefore act more professional, which is something that is important to both of us.  It just got me to wondering, does dress code matter to you?

7 comments:

  1. Honestly I find a dress code or even a uniform helpful. Tell me how to dress and that takes the guesswork out of it. They're the ones signing my paycheck so if they want me to wear specific clothing then I'll wear it. Besides I'd rather wear my comfy clothes when I can actually be comfortable (on the couch, with a book). =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you mean. I definitely save my comfiest clothes for my couch too! :)

      Delete
  2. I love that my office is business casual. It means we can wear dress shirts and jeans and still be perfectly fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would work for me too. I saw a couple of teachers wearing dress shirts and dark wash jeans today and at first I just thought they were wearing navy trousers.

      Delete
  3. Where I work now, I can wear pretty much whatever. There are days when I throw on jeans. But there are days when I'm a bit more "dressed" up. It's nice to have the option. Some days you just need to be able to throw on some jeans and go. And you can "dress up" your jeans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could definitely see wearing jeans dressed up. Some days it's nice not to worry about ironing my pants!

      Delete
  4. I somewhat agree.... It kinda goes both ways for me. A) My earrings don't really "fit" a dress code, per se. B) I wear nude pantyhose just about every day, even after work and on weekends.
    A) I have 12 regular holes pierced in each ear going from bottom to top (and I'm not removing them for ANYONE!) and I LOVE BIG statement earrings! I'll usually wear large matching hoops or long, dangly earrings in the first three or four holes (I wore 4 pairs of 3 inch silver hoops today), then I’ll add smaller coordinating pairs in the 4th, 5th or 6th holes, then matching flower studs or something the rest of the way up. It takes a little extra time to change 24 earrings every morning, but I love the extra dimension it adds to my outfits! :) It was initially frowned upon by my boss (I work for an attorney), but he got used to it after a while. He actually compliments me on my pairings a lot these days. (I definitely think it would look super cute on you, too! You should consider it!) :)
    B) I have worn nude pantyhose of some sort just about every day since I was 13 or 14 (I'm 29 now). I can probably count on my fingers how many times I HAVEN'T worn pantyhose since then. Even in the Georgia summers with shorts, sundresses, sweats, jeans, around the house, etc. I have just always loved how they make my legs look, how much more feminine they make me feel and how they make my outfits look more sophisticated. Plus, my bf seems to like it, too. :) So, the office requirement of a skirt and nylons has never been an issue for me. Which is a plus, because I'm told the previous girl in my position was always complaining about the pantyhose requirement. Just my 2 cents... :)

    ReplyDelete