Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Alterations Needed


This week at work, our free school shirts for the year came in.  (FYI, I blurred out my school logo on it because I don't want people stalking me or my students where I work.  Safety first, peeps.)  I was extremely disappointed when I realized the golf shirt I chose was purchased in a men's size small, not women's.  This might be fine for the average person but for petite 4'11" me, that made the shirt practically unwearable.  It was so big on me I looked like I was playing dress up in my hubby's closet.  See the before photos.  The shoulders fell about six inches past my actual shoulder, the torso was several inches too wide and the length was about five inches too long also.  What's the use of having a free shirt if it's too big and ridiculous to even wear?  Well then I got determined.  When you are as petite as I am, sewing skills come in handy.  And big time alterations were definitely needed on this shirt.

I used this tutorial from YouTube, which was awesome and well explained.  I got a little scared after cutting the entire shirt apart except for the two top seams but it all went well and I am thrilled with the way it turned out.  Another shirt saved!  In the end, I didn't do a perfect job, but it's a huge improvement.  The alterations I made were: shortened the shoulders, took in the torso, and hemmed the length.  I can't wait to wear it this Friday!

Here's the current list of alterations I now know how to do:
1. hem the length of pants
2. take in the waist of pants
3. take in the torso of shirts
4. hem the length of shirts
5. slim the legs of pants (turned a pair from straight to skinny last year so I could wear them with boots)
6. take in the shoulders of a shirt

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial! I've been trying to find one like it for over a year but nothing explained it as clearly as this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could help! Hope it works out well for you.

      Delete