Friday, July 18, 2014

Splatter


For today's challenge, I was seriously considering using the splatter nail stamp from Bundle Monster (plate BM416) or my Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear polish in Pixel Perfect.  I should have.  What occurred when I actually did the real straw splatter technique was just downright painful.  Literally.



After applying Orly Bonder as a base coat, I used one, yes, just one coat of Sally Hansen Insta Dri Silver Sweep.  That sucker is pigmented and applies like a dream.  And then my polish dream turned into a polish nightmare.



I did some practicing with the splatter quick spurt technique to make the splatters look good and I thought I had the technique down but I guess not.  I started off by first splattering Wet N Wild Wild Shine Black Creme.  I did all the nails on one hand first with this shade.  I was using a coffee stirrer straw and the blobs were coming out bigger than I wanted so I thought maybe I should try a different straw but it seemed to be okay besides making a colossal mess, but I was prepared!  I had used my white craft glue to paint a "shield" of sorts around the cuticles above and below thinking it would make clean up easier.



Next, I went in with a larger drinking straw and the no name fuchsia shade that came in my sugar nail kit.  The splattering came out looking the same but the real problem was when I splatted on my pinky nail.  Have you ever accidentally touched acetone to a tiny cut you didn't know you had?  Well I can tell you from experience that when you splat a giant blob of chemical filled no name polish on a tiny unseen cut, it hurts way worse than acetone.  Blowing on a giant blob does nothing to ease the pain.  Even more fun is knowing that you have to do it again with one more color!



Finally, I used the teal shade of polish from the same sugar nail kit to splatter the nails.  I didn't even bother with top coat because I knew from the amount of paint that this would never dry and was therefore coming immediately off and I didn't even bother doing my other hand!  And the glue that was supposed to make clean up easier?  No, friends.  Peeling that off took longer and was harder than it would have been to just use acetone and a brush.  And all that acetone then also got into that tiny cut... ow again.  It's pretty though, isn't it?  Most evil things are.  I will never splatter mani again... because it's evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment