Monday, July 14, 2014

Saran Wrap


Another day, another nail challenge!  Today's assignment was saran wrap.  Although I've known about this technique for some time now, I've never actually tried it myself.  Now that I have, I remembered why I stopped doing manis like this: SO MUCH CLEANUP!  I really need to try to remember when doing messy manis to use my glue base coat on my cuticle area.  I've seen other people who paint around their nails with the glue and then it just peels right off after you're done, leaving your fingers clean of polish!  Next time, next time.



There are lots of different methods of doing saran wrap nails but I just wasn't getting the result I wanted with anyone else's way of doing it.  I sort of combined other ideas to make my own style so I'll be posting a photo tutorial on that.  For now, I'll briefly sum up what I did, since the tutorial will be more detailed.  I started by using Orly Bonder as a base coat followed by two coats of this limited edition Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Peach Babe, which is actually a pastel pink creme.


After that was thoroughly dry, I used saran wrap to dabble on Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Lacey Lilac, which is a pastel purple, and a limited edition pastel blue, Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Wet Suit.  I followed it all up with a top coat of NYC Grand Central Station. 


One of the fun things about this method is that (for me at least), every nail comes out a little different.  One of the things I don't like about this method is that (for me at least), every nail comes out a little different.  LOL.  I'm a little OCD about liking my nails to all be the same or maybe one accent nail.  I'm not a big fan of things like skittle manis on me, because I just look at them all day and think of how they don't match.  Over all, I had fun with this method but I think I would prefer a sponged gradient where everything flows nicely into the next color and looks more purposeful.  However, I could definitely see the saran wrap method being useful for situations where you would want a more irregular marbled look.  Or anyone with skill (not me) could probably with practice perfect this method to where their nails look more uniform and intentional.  Still fun though!



No comments:

Post a Comment