Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Saran Wrap Tutorial


Today I'm going to share with you how I got these fun pastel saran wrap nails.  Let's start with what you'll need.

Materials:
- plastic sheet protector or something to protect your table from the mess.  I use a plastic placemat to work on every time I do my nails.
- base coat & top coat (I used Orly Bonder & NYC Grand Central Station)
- pastel pink polish (I used Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Peach Babe)
- pastel blue polish (I used Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Wet Suit)
- pastel purple polish (I used Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Lacey Lilac)
- small saran wrap balls, I used about six
- acetone or polish remover for clean up
- small brush or Q tips for clean up

Now that you know what you'll need, let's get started.


Step 1
Step 1: Paint your nails with a base coat to protect them from staining and help your manicure last longer.


Step 2
Step 2: Paint your nails the base color.  I've gone with a pale pink shade.  I used two coats to get an opaque base for my marbling.  Wait for this to be completely dry before going on to the next step.


Step 3
Step 3: Blob a circle of pale blue polish onto your placemat or sheet protector.  Then dip a ball of saran wrap into the polish and immediately transfer the color to your nail, dabbing the color on until you are happy with the way it looks.  You can use the same piece of saran wrap more than once but I found after a few nails, the polish on it dried and it became difficult to use.  Do this step on all ten nails.  After this step, my nails looked like this:
Blue polish dabbed over pink.


Step 4

Step 4: After all of the blue polish has dried, repeat step 3 with a lavender shade.  After step 4, my nails looked like this:
Purple and blue polish dabbed over pink
Step 5

Step 5: When the lavender polish is dry, apply a top coat.  This will blend the marbling and smooth it out, as well as making your polish last longer.


Step 6
Step 6: Using acetone (or polish remover, but that takes a bit more work) and a small brush or Q-tips, clean up the area around your nails of any polish mess.  This is the brush I use.



And then you are done!  Enjoy your unique and easy to create nail design!



No comments:

Post a Comment