Saturday, April 12, 2014

Skincare Conditions & Products

No outfit post today.  I wore jeans and my school shirt to work yesterday, as we had our pre-standardized test pep rally.  We got these cute paw print tattoos for teachers and the students though.  How cute is it?  I was a little worried about putting it on my face though, since I have such sensitive skin that pitches a fit at the littlest irritation.  I've talked here before about how I sometimes get acne on my face and here about how I sometimes struggle with breakouts on my back and shoulders because my skin is just so very sensitive that any rubbing or change in routine and products can cause acne, hives, and other fun skin conditions.  My skin is a little dry in that spot today but otherwise seems fine but it got me to thinking that I haven't written about my skincare routine for awhile.

In about the last year and a half, I noticed that little red bumps and dry, scaly skin had started to appear on my left arm bicep area and on my right arm, just above my elbow on the back of my arm.  Occasionally some of the little red bumps would turn into a tiny whitehead so I figured this was just part of my back acne problem and treated it the same way, with 10% benzoyl peroxide cream at night, followed by 2% salicylic acid pads in the morning.  But it didn't get better with time.  I tried several other different acne fighting combinations including alpha hydroxy acid but it only seemed to mildly improve but still not go away.  I really didn't want to drop a $45 copay to see a doctor for something that was only an aesthetic problem.  Finally, I did a some research and figured out that what I have is almost certainly keratosis pilaris, or KP, which is actually quite common, especially for people with fair skin.  After finally figuring out what seems to be going on with my skin, I have a better game plan on how to treat it.  Since I was in need of restocking on several other of my skincare products, I thought now was a good time to purchase the items I need to start treating my skin.


One of the treatments of KP is to exfoliate your skin, to eliminate the dry scaly skin and make the skin feel smoother.  From Target, I bought the generic Up & Up version of this scrub.  It has 2% salicylic acid, which is an exfoliator, as well as the scrubby particles that help smooth skin.  As I am almost out of my alpha hydroxy acid I've been using, I also picked up this 10% AHA Enhanced Lotion from Bealls Outlet.  This product exfoliates, as well as hydrates.  And I bought a loofah mostly because back in the day when I used a loofah, I didn't have KP.  I thought maybe there was a connection there, since loofahs exfoliate.  I also plan on using my Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion as well.


And I also stocked up on some old faithful items for my face.  I was at Dollar General to pick up some eye serum and noticed that some of their face products are far less expensive than buying them at the grocery store or even Walmart, so I picked up some items there.  I really wish I had waited to buy the scrub shown above, because it was a lot less expensive at DG too.

Dollar General Gentle Skin Cleanser: This is just like my Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser but about a third of the price.  We'll see if it works the same.
Equate 2-in-1 Daily Facial Cloths: These are generic for Olay Daily Facials.  They take off all my makeup at night in the shower.  I was almost out so I picked up some more.
Acne.org 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide Treatment: I started ordering this from Amazon when Walmart stopped making my "FauxActive".  I paid over $40 for this bottle but it's huge and lasts me about six months.  It's also the best formula of 2.5% BP I've ever used, including ProActiv.  It just smooths on better and since I've been using it and really nailing down my skincare routine for my face, I haven't had a pimple in.... well, I couldn't even tell you the last time I had a pimple!  If you are struggling with acne on your face, I highly recommend this product and http://www.acne.org/.  It was the only thing that worked for my acne.  Dan Kern seriously saved my face.
Top Care Makeup Remover Wipes: These are just generic wet makeup remover wipes.  I use them in the morning to remove any stubborn mascara or eyeliner that might be left over from the day before.  These are super cheap at Winn Dixie and unlike many others, they don't sting my eyes.
Olay Complete Moisturizer SPF 15 for Sensitive Skin: I'm not out of my generic equate version of this but I'm running low and this was on sale at Dollar General for under $6.  A great bargain so I snatched some up.
Dollar General Eye Serum: I think this is generic for the Olay version.  I've used three different versions of generic Olay Eye Serum: 1. Up & Up brand from Target, 2. Equate brand from Walmart, and 3. DG brand from Dollar General.  They all work about the same (Target's was a little better than the others, but not much) but the DG brand is a third of the price compared to Target or Walmart.  I'm sorry, but I don't like spending $15 on eye serum.  Five or six dollars is way more my price point.

Is there anyone else out there dealing with keratosis pilaris?  If so, I'd love to hear from you!  Do you have any skin care concerns or products that really work for you?  I'm open to suggestions as I try to find something that will work for me so please feel free to comment here or on my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment