Friday, March 28, 2014

Neglected Pieces




Having this week off from work has been great.  I've done a ton (too much!) shopping, lots of relaxing and couch time with my kitties, and I've eaten loads of junk food.  Back to normal Monday!  But that's okay, because I'm looking forward to wearing some of my new clothes next week.  Having all this time off has given me a chance to peruse the Internet and find some new favorite blogs and one I've really been enjoying is A Journey in Style by Kate.  I like Kate (and her blog) because her outfits are affordable and she's totally down to earth about the fact that (like me) getting dressed and looking cute does not always come easily to her.  One thing she does that I loved the idea of is challenging herself to create outfits around pieces in her closet that have been neglected and she calls the challenge "No Longer Neglected".  Oh my gosh, what a great idea!  I have far too many clothing items in my closet that I either paid way too much for or just had to have and which now hang there sad, lonely, and unused.  So I've selected just a few of those pieces to try to build some outfits around in order to get more use out of them.

First, we have the A-line polka dot skirt.  I bought this skirt at Loft and I'm pretty sure I paid full price.  Looking back, I can't even believe I did that.  But I loved the shape of the skirt and thought the colors wouldn't be too hard to match.  Really I could wear a black or white top and be good to go.  But something about this skirt just doesn't appeal to me anymore.  I've already got a few ideas on how I can style this, including with my denim jacket to dress it down a little.

Next, we have a pair of wooden heels that I've never worn.  That's right, I spent way too much on these pretty babies and I've still never worn them.  I've come to the conclusion that I really have very little purpose for heels in my life right now but I'm determined to at least wear these to go out to dinner or something.

The third piece is another polka dot item.  Another item from Loft and another item I spent way too much on.  Although I know why I don't wear this one often.  It's too big through the torso so it doesn't look very flattering on me.  Maybe I should try taking in the sides of this baby because I really do like the fabric and the print.  I checked out YouTube and taking in the sides of a shirt seems pretty easy.  I have plans tomorrow to alter a bunch of other clothing items, so maybe we'll try it out if I can convince hubby to help me "pinch and pin".

Next up is this red skort.  I was dying to find a red or burgundy skirt at end of this past summer and this one just fit the bill so well.  Perfect length, nice color, and on clearance at Kohl's.  Since then I think I've worn it once.  Yup, once.  The problem with this one is that I really don't know how to style it other than with a plain white or plain black top.  I know some people rock red with other colors like cobalt or pink but that's really just not my style.  Although looking at my collage above, this skirt would be pretty cute with the polka dot top (if I can slim it down)!  There's one idea at least.  I'll have to scour Pinterest for some more ideas.  If you have any other ideas, please share!

Ah, the vest I had to have and settled for.  I say settled for because in reality, I don't love the way this vest fits.  It's a little too long for my preference and although it looks fine, I'm not crazy about the length.  But I still really like it and I need to make more of an effort to wear it.  Maybe I could wear it with my straight leg jeans and those neglected heels.  I bet it would also look great with black chinos and a chambray button down for work on a more casual day.

And the last item for this round is this teal blazer.  Originally, I didn't like that it only had one button but I went ahead and added a second button but I still hardly ever wear it.  I really don't know why!  To be honest, I really have neglected all my blazers lately.  But this one should be a fun and bright one to wear this spring.

4 comments:

  1. I just want to tell you that I love your blog! I barely ever leave comments on blogs, but I feel like I should start doing it more b/c I know if I blogged, I'd want to know there were people out there actually reading what I have to say! I've been in such a clothing rut for the last few years (same khakis & same style of t-shirt from Target literally every day!) but lately your blog has inspired me to try and switch things up once it starts to get warmer out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jessica! I started doing outfit posts for the same reason; stuck in a clothing rut! I hope you enjoy trying some new things. I think clothes should be fun, but it's not always easy for me either. :)

      Delete
  2. I think your red skirt would look really cute with a striped or chambray top. I could also see you wearing black or white tops and adding a scarf/statement necklace/belt in a fun color. Isn't it funny how we buy stuff that we think we're going to wear all the time, and we don't? I have a few pieces in my closet that I LOVE but somehow never get around to wearing ,,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! Oddly enough, I never thought to pair that skirt with my chambray top. Funny how sometimes we forget the easy combinations and over complicate things. :)

      Delete