Saturday, March 29, 2014

Deals on Dresses (Under $20)


I don't know about the rest of the northern hemisphere but spring has finally sprung here in Florida!  The forecast for the next ten days is calling for every day in the 70's.  Figures that would happen just as I was figuring out how to layer up and keep warm but I'm okay with it because I have lots of skirts to dig out from the back of my closet and lots of new dresses to wear too!  I've mentioned a few times recently that I've been dress shopping a lot lately so I thought I would compile all of the deals that I've gotten and show you some of the pretty pieces I plan to wear now that the cool air is on its way out.  And to me, a deal on a dress is anything under $20 because, you know... teacher budget here.

(FYI, I'm not including the dress I bought from Burlington Coat Factory in this post because at $30, I didn't feel like it was all that great of a deal.  More like the fulfillment of a dress wish that I've had since being in Bye Bye Birdie back in 12th grade.  I've had a full crinoline dress on my mind ever since!)  

For each dress shown, I've listed where I bought it, the price I paid, as well as the sizing section.  The reason for sizing info/section is I often would limit myself to only shopping in the petites section, but I kept an open mind when shopping and ended up finding that (at least in Ross Dress for Less stores), I can shop in three different sizing sections: Petites, Juniors, and Ladies and find dresses that are all about the same length on me.  Keep in mind though, the longest dress I bought was in the petite section, so you just never really know until you try it on.  So without further adieu, allow me to welcome spring with a plethora of dresses!


Coral Shirt Dress
Purchased at Ross, $9.99
Juniors Sizing
Is there a color that says "spring" more than coral?  I think not.  This dress is a beauty and you can see one way I've worn it already here.  This dress has a half placket, elastic waistband, and pockets.


Navy Floral Dress
Purchased at Ross, $13.99
Ladies Sizing
I love that this dress is floral without being over the top flowery.  The dainty floral pattern doesn't overwhelm my petite frame and the shades in the floral can work for any season from spring to fall, depending on how you wear accessories.  This dress has an elastic waistband and a blouson shape.  Perfect for a date night when you're sporting a burrito food baby but still want to look chic! ;)  I haven't worn this one yet but I am planning on wearing it to work this coming week.


Polka Dot Sheath Dress
Purchased at Ross, $16.99
Petite Sizing
Oddly enough, of all the dresses I bought, this one from the petites department is the longest.  I ended up hemming the length about two inches shorter but that was a quick and easy fix.  This one is a classic sleeveless sheath dress with a matching belt.  I've worn it once here and will probably wear it next with a white dress shirt underneath.


Black Shirt Dress
Purchased at Ross, $12.99
Petite Sizing
This dress is a full placket button down dress.  It's hard to see the details since it's black but it has a traditional shirt collar, pockets at the bust and at the hips, and an elastic waist band.  Oh. Em. Gee.  This dress is comfortable.  Like pajamas comfortable.  I've worn it once here and really I could think of a ton of ways to wear this dress.


Navy Shirt Dress
Purchased at Ross, $9.99
Juniors Sizing
This dress is identical to the coral one above.  I'm one of those people that when I find something I like for a good price, I buy it in multiple colors.  I'm not sure if that will pay off for me in the end but these dresses were such a reasonable price, I figured if I didn't end up wearing them all a ton, I would be okay with it.  I've actually already worn this navy one twice and you can see one way I've worn it here.

Chevron Dress
Purchased at Belk (on clearance), $13.99
Juniors Sizing
I know chevron is really "in" right now (Or is it already on its way out?) and I'm not really one to buy into trends.  I really just liked all the fun colors in this dress.  It's another blouson type dress with that elastic waistband but the "blousing" of this dress is quite minimal.  I think this dress would be easy to style for spring by pairing it with nude flats and a beige cardigan or in the fall you could bring out the charcoal with a black or grey cardigan and black or grey tights or even navy.  The darkest stripes there are navy blue.  I personally am not a fan of the little belt it came with, but that is detachable.  This is another dress I plan to wear next week.


Green Dress
Purchased at Ross, $10.99
Petite Sizing
I will admit that I totally bought this dress just So I could wear it on Saint Patrick's Day but I love the color and shape nonetheless and have plans to wear it several different ways already.  It really brings out the color of my eyes and is another dress that could be worn for any season depending on how you accessorize it.  Again, blouson shape with elastic waistband.
Cobalt Shirt Dress
Purchased at Ross, $9.99
Juniors Sizing
This is another repeat of the same kind of dress shown in coral and navy above.  Really, I only bought this one with one thing in mind.  Twice a year (homecoming and usually one other day), we have school pride day for the high school that my students will feed into.  Since our school colors at the elementary school I teach at are green and yellow and the high school's colors are royal blue and white, I don't really have anything to wear.  Homecoming is always still really hot here in Florida so now I have an outfit I can wear every year for that, without sweating to death.  Just add a thin white cardigan or a white belt!  Also, blue and yellow were the colors of both my high school and college so I can wear them on team spirit day too!  Or add orange accessories when I have to wear "Gator colors"... you get the idea.  And cobalt (or royal blue, whatever you want to call it) looks really great against my fair skin.

So there you have it!  If you are on the hunt for dresses like I was, I would suggest making your first stop a Ross Dress for Less, if you have one in your area.  They just have such a huge variety of dresses for such a fair price.  It's addicting finding an entire outfit for under $20!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely dresses ;)
    what happend with your youtube channel? I loved watching your videos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I just don't really have the time or energy for YouTube anymore. I've been working a lot of hours and taking on more responsibility at my job but I've always loved writing so I try really hard to make time for blogging... although sometimes that doesn't always work out the way I want it either.

      Delete
  2. Aw I completely understand. I am just now making sometime for youtube but abandoned my blog. I hope to see you back on youtube if you ever get a chance. Take care and I'll be back checking on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete