Sunday, November 17, 2013

Braces Timeline

Adult braces update: Also known as the story that never ends...


Timeline:
March 17, 2011 I had my braces put on.

April 2011 Had surgery to remove my wisdom teeth and to remove my two baby canine, or eye teeth, and bond chains to begin moving the adult teeth into place.

April 2012 My left canine was completely in place and that half of my smile looked perfect.  Also, I got the bottom braces on finally and began straightening them out.

October/November 2012 Found out that the right canine was not moving at all.  Had a titanium screw implanted into the roof of my mouth to try to move it into place using more force at a different angle.

March 2013 Just about at the two year anniversary of my braces, I found out that the screw was not working either and that tooth would have to be surgically removed.

July 2013 I went to the oral surgeon for a consultation and decided to have the surgery, then close the gap with the braces.

September 2013 Insurance denied my surgery claim, stating that not all of the paperwork was submitted.  Uh huh.  Resubmit the paperwork and wait some more.  >:(

November 2013 Insurance finally approved my claim and I will have the surgery next Monday, November 25th!

Can I just say how thrilled I am to finally feel like there is a light at the end of this tunnel?  I have felt so insecure for the past two and a half years over having these giant gaps in my smile and I am so excited that I feel like I am finally getting closer to a resolution.  The left side of my smile still looks great but the right side... is a hot mess.  I can't wait to get moving on that side too!

5 comments:

  1. You know, I didn't even notice the teeth problem until you pointed it out and even then had to look closely. You're brave for going through all those treatments and if it makes you happy then it's worth it. I, for one, hate going to the dentist because of the costly bills that result, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure that in the end I'll be happy I did it but it's a long hard road to get there.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Zara here. You have a very pretty smile and it's hard to see the problem with your teeth. Still, braces are not only necessary for aesthetic reasons, but also for health reasons. By making your teeth straight, braces allow you to chew your food better, and thus, helps your digestive system. Yeah, braces can be tough, but I'm sure it will be worth the long wait. Hang on!

    Clinton Zelman @ DougSmithDDS.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Clinton! While it's taking longer than I hoped, I'm glad I decided to do it, even though it was late in life. I know I'll be happy with the results and I'm glad having impacted teeth so long didn't rot the roots of any of my other teeth.

    ReplyDelete