Sunday, June 9, 2013

Green Smoothies


Since my husband was diagnosed with gastroparesis back in November, we've started slowly changing our diet to try to help him digest more easily and not be so sick.  Small changes were not making much difference, until April when I decided that maybe it was time to start eating healthier - more fresh fruits and veggies and less processed food.  It has taken some time to adjust but we are now both fully committed to eating healthier.  The funny thing is that we both love it now!  And 95% of the time, he has no symptoms from the gastroparesis.  The other five percent is usually caused by us pigging out on junk food.  No one's perfect, right?

One of our favorite new things are smoothies!  Apparently the "Green Smoothie" trend has been around for awhile now and we're just late to the party.  They are called Green Smoothies because the base is usually a leafy green like spinach, that generally causes most of the smoothies to turn green in color.  I love baby spinach in salads and generally in a smoothie, you don't taste the spinach at all.

I make these smoothies at home in my blender and we usually have one for breakfast, although lately it's turned in to one for breakfast and maybe one for dessert or for a snack.  They are seriously so good that we crave them!

There are all different flavors and ways to make smoothies but my favorite so far has been a variation of the brown one in the collage above.  It's actually raspberry coconut and the combination of the red raspberries and the green spinach make it look brown.  You can find the recipe here.  Just FYI though, I altered the recipe just slightly to my tastes but the idea is the same.  In general, I tend to not really follow a recipe.  I just throw some stuff in the blender until it's smooth.  Then I'll taste it and add a little Splenda or more liquid or whatever I need to make it perfect.  Below I've included my basic "recipe" for all my smoothies.


Besides raspberry coconut, some of my favorites are pina colada (spinach, coconut water, pineapple, coconut shavings) and chocolate shake (spinach, dark chocolate almond milk, banana, nutella).  Would you ever try a green smoothie?  If you're addicted like me, I'd love to hear some of your favorites too!

No comments:

Post a Comment