Saturday, June 15, 2013

Farmer's Market Bust

If you've been reading my blog the past few days, you probably know how excited I was for my trip to the Farmer's Market with Brian today.  It always seems to happen to me this way... the trip to the Farmer's Market was a bust but in the end things turned out okay.  Story of my life.

It all started yesterday.  Brian and I were planning to use some leftover hamburger meat from the night before in our lunches.  A few hours later, Brian started feeling really nauseous.  That's when he realized he ate the leftover hamburger meat from last week and I ate the stuff from the night before.  Not good.  You know you need to clean out your refrigerator when...

He had some mild food poisoning symptoms yesterday a few hours after he ate that.  Afterward, he seemed to be okay.  Then this morning I made us a smoothies before we headed out.  As I was finishing getting ready, I heard him getting sick again.  I tried to talk him into staying home and waiting until next week to go to the Farmer's Market but he didn't want to disappoint me since he knew I was so excited.  By the time I was ready he swore he was feeling better and we headed to the Farmer's Market, which is about twenty-five minutes away from our house.  About halfway there, we had to pull over because he was getting sick again.  We have the most romantic dates, I tell you.

So needless to say, by the time we finally got to the Farmer's Market, Brian was really not feeling up to fighting the crowd in the eighty degree heat.  We made our way through the booths pretty quickly but we ended up getting there later than we hoped and a lot of the produce stands were gone by then.  I think we were there for maybe ten minutes before Brian just got too hot and we left.

By the time we were almost home, Brian was feeling well enough to make a stop at a local produce store that we discovered last week, Currie's Brothers Market.  We love this store because the customer service is great and the produce is fresh and somehow less expensive than grocery stores.  So at least our produce shopping wasn't a bust!  Look at all that spinach!  Smoothie city!


From the produce store, we bought three bags of spinach, one head of leaf lettuce, green bell peppers, cubanelle peppers, pink lady apples, champagne mangoes, yellow squash, zucchinis, and ripe bananas.  Just to throw it out there... I know that's a lot of spinach.  LOL  We eat about a bag a day, either on sandwiches, in salads, or in smoothies.  This produce store sells bags of spinach that are twice the size of the grocery store for a dollar less.  Good bargain!  Also, I purposely bought these bananas overly ripe.  I cut them up and froze them for smoothies and I like them better in smoothies when they are a little brown because they taste sweeter.  The squash isn't pictured because I forgot about it until after I took this picture.  Just trust that it is lovely like all the rest of this produce!


And finally, this is what I wore for our adventures today.  This is the skirt and hat I blogged about earlier this week, now seen in action!  I think I'm going to be getting a lot of use out of the hat this summer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment