Monday, April 1, 2013

Makeup Tutorial: Copying Lauren Conrad


I recently read Lauren Conrad's book, Style and was inspired by her simple daytime makeup look.  I recreated my own version and I have been wearing my makeup like this almost every day for the past two weeks.  It's pretty easy and quick so I thought it was worth sharing with you.  I love it because it's natural but better so it's a great look for work.

First, let's start with the tools and products I used.  You can, of course, substitute what I used with similar items that you already have.
The Tools:
1. blush brush (Studio tools - Target)
2. large, fluffy blending eye brush 
3. angled eyeliner brush
4. medium, fluffy blending or crease brush
5. flat eyeshadow brush
6. eyelash curler


The Products:
1. peachy blush (pretty peach)
2. black pencil eyeliner
3. eyeshadow primer
4. brown liquid liner
5. black mascara
6. matte cream eyeshadow (brulee)
7. matte taupe eyeshadow (true taupe)

Now on to the tutorial!
1. Do your face makeup as usual.  I usually just go with a little concealer on any spots and under my eyes and then sweep some powder foundation over the top.
2. Use a blush brush to apply a peachy blush.  Sweep it over the tops of the cheekbones, not the apples of the cheeks.

3. Next, use the black pencil to tightline your eyes.  This means lining underneath of the top lashes.  There are two ways to do this.  Do whatever you are most comfortable with, or skip this step if you don't feel comfortable lining so close to your eyes.

4. Next, dot on some eyeshadow primer and use your finger to blend it in.

5. Use a flat eyeshadow brush to pick up some of the matte cream eyeshadow.  Pat it all over the lid and into the highlight.  This is going to be our base color so you want it all over and you want enough coverage to hide any discoloration or capillaries on your eyelids.

6. Use the medium crease brush to apply the matte taupe shadow to your crease.  Use a windshield wiper motion.  Then use the angled liner brush to sweep the same shadow along the bottom lash line to add just a hint of definition without weighing you down.



7. Use the larger blending brush to quickly blend the line of the two shadows in your crease.

8. Now for the hard part.  Don't worry though, with some practice you can get pretty good with liquid liner, especially with this easy to use marker.  I know some people are against it, but I gently pull my lid taught and line right along the lashes, making a thin line all the way across my eyes.  I push very gently to keep the line thin.

9. Next I go back and thicken up the outer half of the liner.  I just look down into my mirror and push slightly harder with the marker and the line automatically thickens.  You can stop here if you want (I usually do this for work) or if you want a slightly more dramatic but still wearable look, go to step 10 for a slight flick of the liner.

10. Still looking down in the mirror, I start with the left eye (because I'm worse at lining that eye).  Draw a small line with a flick of your hand.  If you were to extend the line, it would eventually connect to your outer eyebrow.  Then draw a line on the right eye that is the same shape.  Go slow and check each side to see that they are symmetrical.

11. Now curl your lashes.  I hold it at the base for about 10 seconds, then just squeeze until I get to the end of the lashes.  Repeat on other eye.

12. Add a coat (or two or three) of your favorite mascara to your lashes.

13. (Optional) For this look, I added a quick coat of lipgloss in Crystal Soda.  Usually for work, I just go with my old faithful, Carmex Lip Balm, but this shiny gloss just finishes the look in my opinion.

And then admire your pretty but not overly done self!
Me and my braces and my new short hair!
Pretty but natural

Oh, hello eyeliner wing!

2 comments:

  1. Love the makeup look and your new hair! I do something similar for work but lately I've been lazy about shadow and liner so I've only been wearing mascara.

    ReplyDelete