Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Fashion Adventure: Small Changes, Big Impact


When I bought this blazer from Papaya, it had only one teal button.  I felt like the one button made it seem to fit a little oddly and be more casual than what I wanted.  So I learned from the Internet how to sew a buttonhole and I added one buttonhole below the old one.  I couldn't find teal buttons in the right size so I just used black instead.  I also added a small concealed snap at the bottom of the lapel to raise the stance a bit.  My tailoring work is certainly not perfect, but I like this blazer so much more now!  I did the same thing to the black blazer that I own which is identical to this one.  It's amazing how such small changes can make a big impact on how this blazer looks.  I think it's much more flattering and grown up now.


The Pieces:
1. petite chiffon polka dot blouse from Sears
2. teal cuff blazer from Papaya
3. long black bead necklace (doubled up)
4. petite black trousers from Bealls Outlet
5. silver wrap watch from Rue21
6. pewter bow flats from Bass Outlet

Likes:
1. The blazer!  In addition to what I already said, I really like the length on this blazer.  It's from a juniors store, so it runs a little on the short side.
2. If you look at the 1 button, 2 buttons picture above, you can also see what a difference there is in the length of a petite shirt on me compared to a regular shirt.  The petites shirt is hanging an extra three inches out of my blazer.
3. I like the black accents of this outfit.  Black necklace, black buttons on the blouse, black buttons on the blazer, and black pants.  Let's pretend I did that on purpose.

Dislikes:
1. If I had realized that the polka dot blouse looked so weird poking out of the bottom of the blazer, I would have tucked it in.  I didn't notice that when looking in the mirror, but it looks odd in the photos.

2 comments:

  1. You're right, adding the second button was a huge improvement. Good for you for seeing the potential in that blazer; I don't think I would have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't take credit though. It came about through a conversation with a friend.

      Delete