Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Fashion Adventure: I Made This Skirt

Today was my first day back to work after Spring Break and as much as I love hanging out at my house and being lazy, I was honestly quite happy to be back.  My morning was filled with sweet children and things like "Mrs. S, I love your haircut!", "Mrs. S, your skirt is so cute!", and "Mrs. S, I missed you!".  Those little people seriously just fill my heart with joy.  And going to work gave me a great excuse to wear the new skirt that I made while I was off last week.  That's right, I made this skirt!  No pattern needed!  I sort of made my own pattern using pieces of several different tutorials but if you wanted to make your own, you could probably follow this one and get a very similar result.  Now all my female students want to learn how to sew!  Even my boss complimented my skirt.  And now that the temperatures here in Northeast Florida are hanging out in the 70s and 80s, I'll have even more opportunities to wear my skirts.

The Pieces:
1. taupe triangle fringle scarf from NY&Co Outlet
2. petite white 3/4 length scoop neck tee from Stein Mart
3. turquoise wide stretch belt from Body Central Outlet
4. zigzag stripe skirt, one of a kind, made by me!
5. opaque matte beige tights from Amazon.com
6. taupe bow wedges from Payless Shoe Source

Likes:
1. I love this skirt!  The elastic waistband makes it super comfortable and the pockets keep it practical.  Yet it still looks chic to me.  How can you not love a skirt that your hubby tells you that you look adorable in?
2. It's a little hard to tell, but the turquoise belt really plays well with the blue stripe in the skirt.  I give myself an A+ for even noticing that and wearing them together on purpose.
3. I really love these taupe wedges!  These are the closest thing that I've worn to a heel to work in years and now I remember why I like wedges so much!  They give a similar look to high heels but are so much more comfortable.  I will definitely need a few times of wearing these to get them worn in but they were not unbearable and I wore them all day teaching without my feet hurting at the end of the day.  I'm so glad I picked these up over break on a whim and I think I'll get a lot of wear out of them.

Dislikes:
1. I don't think I'm too crazy about the taupe scarf with this outfit.  It adds a little masculinity to this outfit that I'm not sure I'm digging.

No comments:

Post a Comment