Friday, March 22, 2013

Fashion Adventure: The Shirt Story


There's kind of a story behind this neon shirt. I wanted a bright shirt to wear this teardrop necklace with. I had my eye on a bright orange shirt at Ann Taylor Outlet but I decided to wait and think about it before buying it. When I went back to get it, they of course did not have it in my size. So I sorted of comprised and ended up getting this shirt from Kohl's instead. I've had this shirt for the longest time and never worn it once. Every time I looked at it, it just reminded me of the shirt I could have had, which was back in stock the next week in my size. I finally forced myself to wear it today and it turns out that I like it a lot more than I thought I would!


The Pieces:
1. Petite neon coral crepe button down from Kohl's (They call the shade "Rouge Red" but trust me, it's a super bright pinky orange.)
2. Black cuff blazer from Papaya Outlet
3. Gray faceted teardrop necklace from Ann Taylor Outlet
4. Petite curvy fit medium wash bootcut jeans from Loft Outlet
5. Black bow flats from Bass Outlet



Likes:
1. The color of this shirt is so vibrant and lovely!  It almost makes my skin look more radiant and perky to me.
2. Other than the button (mentioned below) on this blazer, I love the fit.  It's not petite but it's a juniors size and the length is good for my small frame.  Even the shoulders sit in the right place.  For a cheap blazer, it works well for me and I've gotten quite a bit of use out of it.
3. I think the necklace works perfectly with this outfit.  It's a good length (adjustable) and sits well in the space between the shirt and the blazer.  Perfect accessory!


Dislikes:
1. I really don't like that this is only a one button blazer. I feel like the button falls in an awful spot too, where it's just highlighting my little pooch at the top of my pants. Not a good look!  Over my Spring Break, I'm going to try to see if I can figure out how to sew a button hole so I could add one or two more buttons to this blazer.  Then it will be perfect!  (Once upon a time, as a young teenager, I knew how to sew buttonholes and zippers!)
2. I feel like the quality of this shirt is really lacking.  It's a pretty color but the length is way too long for a petite size, which is a sign of poor quality.  (The front of it comes down to the inseam of my pants when untucked.)  Additionally, the pockets are really large for a petite size shirt.  You can't tell that well with the blazer on, but the pockets seem almost comically big on me.  Also, after just one wear, the fabric is already either pilling in places, or collecting balls of lint.  The fabric is almost like velcro against certain other fabrics, like 100% cotton, and things just stick to it in the most awkward way.  After drying it when I bought it and washed it the first time, half the clothes in the dryer were stuck to it.  Therefore, it got totally wrinkled and ironing did nothing to help that.  So I think it will be a nice addition to my closet for only a short time until it quickly wears out.

No comments:

Post a Comment