Thursday, March 28, 2013

Braces Update, OOTD, Blazer Alterations

Lots of stuff to talk about today!  Today I spent about two and a half hours at the orthodontist/dentist office.  Afterwards, Brian and I grabbed some lunch and went shopping at Stein Mart.  Finally, I did a little sewing!  Long, crazy day.  Let's start with what I wore.

The spotted blouse underneath was thrifted from Goodwill and is Banana Republic brand.  It's 30% silk and sooooo soft and comfortable!  The camel cardigan is from Target.  Bootcut jeans from Loft Outlet and brown flats from Rack Room shoes finish off this low maintenance outfit.  I didn't wear any accessories because I knew I'd be getting X-rays at the dentist and orthodontist appointments and they always ask me to remove earrings and necklaces.  On to that barrel of fun...

I think it's been kind of a long time since I've talked about my braces on the blog.  I'm pretty sure the last time I wrote about it was here, where I was about to get the screw microimplant in the roof of my mouth to try to move my right canine into place.  Well it's been several months since then and two full years of me in braces.  After all this work, the X-rays confirmed it today: my right canine is anklyosed (fused to the jaw bone) and is not going anywhere.  EVER.  I was referred to the oral surgeon again and need to have the tooth removed.  Then I have a pretty big decision to make.  I have to decide if I want to pay (at the very least) $5,000 out of pocket for a canine implant that is completely cosmetic and therefore not covered by insurance, or if I want to just use the braces to close the gap between my remaining teeth.  Either way means having braces for about another year at least, possibly longer.  I am absolutely frustrated by this.  Of course, my desire is to go with the more aesthetic implant but I don't have that kind of money to spend on anything, certainly not something that is purely for vanity's sake.  There are a lot of pros and cons and I won't officially decide what I'm doing until my consultation with the oral surgeon, but right now I'm leaning towards the far more cost efficient closing of the gap and just leaving the braces on for longer.

I came home to Brian completely dejected and defeated today, on the verge of tears.  We had planned to go to Tijuana Flats and Stein Mart when I got home because we had a gift card to Stein Mart and Tijuana Flats was running a special today where if you were a teacher with valid ID, you could buy one entree and get the second free.  For some crazy reason, Brian thought after my crummy news at the ortho/dentist, that I would not want to go shopping.  Silly man, that's called retail therapy!

So after some burrito binging, we stopped on over to Stein Mart.  I've had some specific things on my clothing wish list lately and found both of the items I was looking for!  There are basic and a little boring, but I thought I would share them anyway.  And yes, I did feel much more optimistic after finding exactly what I wanted!

Petite size 3/4 scoop neck T-shirt, $14.99

Petite size black Bermuda shorts, $12.49
And after all that, I did some quick sewing.  I talked in this post and this post about how I really wasn't 100% happy with the way this black blazer looked with just one button.  So I did a little reading up here and after a little practice, I figured out how to add a second buttonhole to my blazer with my sewing machine!  It was actually really easy and quick and after I added a new button, I think the blazer looks great!  I really like it so much more now and I'm thinking of all the other blazers I might change from one to two buttons tomorrow.  I'm also considering adding a hook and eye closure at the top to raise the stance of this blazer a bit... I tend to feel like the girls are trying to escape out the top, if you know what I mean!  Awkward!  And now my hubby has plans for me to add a buttonhole to one of his dress shirts to change it to a French cuff too so lots of sewing happening again tomorrow.  We'll see how that goes!

Before: One Button
After: Two Buttons

2 comments:

  1. Love the simple layering and style - such a classic look!

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! That's a huge compliment coming from you because I LOVE your blog! :)

      Delete