Sunday, February 3, 2013

Fashion Adventure: Shopping Round 2

I am so done with shopping!  LOL!  I was pretty optimistic about shopping after Round 1, but then things got harder as I shopped for some of the harder to find pieces.  When you're being very picky and specific, shopping can be rather difficult and frustrating, especially because at four feet eleven inches tall, it's hard to find clothes that fit without being over-sized and baggy.  And now I feel like I have a pretty good basis for my wardrobe and I can just sort of add in a few pieces here and there when I find them.  I'm going to be doing a whole separate post on shopping tips and things I learned through this process but this post is specifically about what I bought.

To start out, I made a fairly specific shopping list:
Tops:
- tan blazer (camel or khaki)
- blouses with easily mixable patterns or colors, preferably with special detailing
- a few plain T-shirts in saturated colors that mix with other items in my wardrobe
- tops that coordinate with my bottoms

Bottoms:
- trousers, cut straight down from the hips (especially khaki, gray, or navy, not black)
- patterned or solid colored skirts (preferably not neutrals)
- dresses that work with lots of other pieces over or under, that can be worn with boots, flats, or heels

Accessories:
- statement necklaces that coordinate with my other pieces
- high quality, comfortable high heels in a neutral color (preferably nude)
- leopard print flats, preferably pointed toe, not calf or pony hair

And when everything was said and done, this is what I came out with:
1. Tan blazer with navy and white cat pawprint liner: Papaya
2. Sonoma moss colored skirt with brown belt: Kohl's
3. Camel colored V-neck cardigan: Target
4. Pointed leopard print flats: Target
5. Caramel and faux wood strappy sandals: Bass Outlet
6. Light beige tank top: Marshall's
7. Black sheath dress: Kohl's
8. Brown textured trouser pants: Kohl's
1. The tan blazer was a great price and fits me really well, even though it's not petite size.  The inside is fully lined with a super cute cat pawprint sort of pattern in navy and white.  It comes with the sleeves cuffed to show off the liner, but you could detach the stitches holding the cuffs up and wear it with the sleeves rolled down if you wanted to as well.  If this blazer looks familiar, it's because I wore it in yesterday's outfit.

2. I know the color of this skirt is not for everyone but I love this "ugly" olive green color!  It may have had something to do with the fact that it coordinated perfectly with the burgundy V-neck that I happened to have on when I bought it, but I think it's a great skirt that can be dressed up for work or dressed down for a more casual look.  It has fun detailing at the top and came with a free belt too!  And did I mention it was on clearance at Kohl's for a great price?  Success!

3. This cardigan was sort of an impulse buy reminiscent of my old shopping habits.  I guess we all slip up sometimes but I love me a cardigan!  Almost all of the cardigans I own are colored so I thought maybe this one in a neutral tone might help my wardrobe be more versatile.
4. I really wanted some leopard print flats but I can't stand the trendy current ones made of calf or pony hair.  Something about the texture of real hair with leopard print just creeps me out.  No offense to anyone who likes that style, but it's not for me.  However, I love the look of leopard and the style of this print was calling my name.  Then there was the pointed toe and the fact that they were actually rather comfortable.  My only problem with these is that they have these pointy stud things on the back.  It's a cute detail but not my style and I'm a little worried that the points will wear at the back of my pants.  I might have to see if I can just pop them off or dull down the point.
5. I really don't have any high heels that I wear.  I have two pairs that are unbearable and I never wear them because they hurt my feet.  I thought maybe since they were both cheap that a better quality pair might be more comfortable.  Pumps are really not my style so I went with a pair of strappy heels in a caramel color.  I think they are so pretty!  The faux wood and studs remind me of Candies, which were really popular when I was a teenager.  I haven't really had a chance to wear them yet, so I'm not sure what the comfort level is like but these ones from the Bass Outlet have the cushion instep that most Bass shoes have that I love.  I do know that these are easy to walk in, which is a problem I have with some heels.  There is nothing tackier than a girl clomping around in pretty shoes that she can't walk in.
6. This tank top is really just one of those essential pieces.  Nothing fancy, but I needed something to wear under my other shirts that are too see through on their own.  Beige blends into skin better so it looks less obvious than stark white.
7. I've really been wanting a sheath dress that I could mix and match with lots of other things and this one must have been meant for me!  The length is actually a little shorter than most dresses so I don't think I'll have to hem it, even though it isn't a petite size.  I already thought of 5 or 6 different pieces that I could wear it with and I could dress it up or down depending what it's paired with.
8. I wasn't really looking for brown trousers but these textured pants were on clearance, fit really well, and were very flattering so I decided to get them and I'm really happy I did!  They will definitely be something that I wear to work often and get a lot of use out of.  I included a close up of the texture so you can see how fun it is even though from far away it just looks like a subtle light brown pant.

1 comment:

  1. Those all look like excellent pieces to add to your wardrobe! I'm looking forward to seeing your outfits with that great dress!

    ReplyDelete