Monday, February 11, 2013

Fashion Adventure: J Crewish

I felt very J Crewish in this outfit, like maybe my outfit just walked out of one of their ads. I loved it! I felt sophisticated but chic and I got lots of compliments.  Even my husband loved "the tones" of the outfit.

And after doing some online research, I found this post that explains how to use your blow dryer to stretch out too tight shoes.  I tried it, along with wearing my shoes around the house all weekend.  The leopard flats were much more comfortable!  They still seem like they need a bit of wearing in but I got through wearing them all day at work with minimal irritation.  I even brought an alternate pair of shoes to swap just in case and I didn't take off these shoes all day!

The Pieces:
1. Chambray camp shirt from Walmart
2. White 3/4 length cardigan from Target
3. Earth tones necklace from Walmart
4. Moss pencil skirt from Kohl's
5. Leopard print flats from Target
6. Control top nylons in suntan from Walmart



Likes:
1. No one piece really stands out but rather, this outfit just works as a whole.
2. This outfit is very much my style (I'm finally sort of learning what my style is) but better.
3. I think the whole outfit is flattering as far as fit, especially without the cardigan, as seen below.



Dislikes:
1. I just find nylons to be so uncomfortable! I don't know if it's the kind that I buy (cheap ones that have already run after three wears) or maybe because I'm so petite they don't fit correctly. Does anyone have any tips on brands of nylons that are more comfortable or how to make them less annoying?

8 comments:

  1. This outfit looks so put together and yet comfortable at the same time! I have no idea how to make pantyhose comfortable... I do recall working at a department store when I was in college and I was required to wear hose; the ones from the department store seemed to last a whole lot longer than the kinds from the big box stores. I have tried the "George" brand of hose from Wal-Mart and they seem to last pretty well. It is frustrating to spend money on an item of clothing that seems so "disposable"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I picked up a few different pairs at the store today so we'll see if any of them are any better. I don't know how people can wear them every day!

      Delete
  2. Try using fabric softener on your pantyhose. Otherwise try using a different denier and see what works best for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I never thought that maybe it's just the type that I'm buying.

      Delete
  3. You have beautiful legs, so don't give up on your pantyhose with a skirt or a dress. Seriously, the control ones do nothing except make you hot and "suck" you in, but they really do almost nothing to make you look any better or more skinny. For school, all you need are the plain L'eggs or No Nonsense 100% nylon ones from the drug store. They are not uncomfortable and you just need to get them in the right height. You can get 5 or 6 wearings out of them, easily, if you hand wash or use a lingerie bag. The reinforced toe ones are great if you usually wear a closed toe flat or low heel for school. Ditch the control tops, girl! That is why they got rid of those awful girdles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I speculated that the control top were the reason they were so uncomfortable. I'll definitely have to invest in some ones that don't squeeze everything into odd places!

      Delete
  4. I love your Blog and you do a great job with it. I don't need even know how to get one started! Anyway, yes....I think here is the problem. We gals come in three sizes or four, depending on the hose brand. A,B and Q or A,B,C,D usually. Problem is, we actually come in hundreds of sizes in real life, so you have to experiment a little! When they started adding Spandex, that made the leg part a bit more durable and less saggy at the ankles, but it made the whole hose way more tight. Then they all started adding the control tops to appeal to our vanity. That is why with some brands, you can barely get darn control tops over your hips. The garden variety plain ones, like No Nonsense and L'eggs still make just a really good and not very expensive style in 100% nylon. No Spandex and no "Girdle" at the top basically. You can wear those for 16 hours and hardly even know they are on. I used to work in retail in the 80's when stockings were always worn with a skirt or dress. Women rarely whined about them; they were just part of the drill. And, I don't care what anyone says, legs look a LOT better in nylons, unless you are a very tan super model. Even then, the outfit does not looked pulled together. Ditch the Wal-Mart brands, but you can those others at Wal-Mart or any drug store. I have worn them for years. All the stuff about freezing them and all the other urban legends are mostly that. Gentle cycle, line dry if possible or use a mesh bag and your outfits will look very polished, with out breaking the bank on your pantyhose. You do a great job or mixing and matching! Keep up the good work. ~~Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the compliments and the advice Sue! I definitely would rather wear hose that are comfortable than a weird spandex girdle!

      Delete