|Detailing on red belt|
|Cuff detail on boyfriend blazer|
First, I started out by making a list of items I was shopping for:
- fitted blazers
- A line skirt
- pencil skirt
- trouser jeans
- trousers, cut straight down from the hips
- statement necklace (I really wanted one like this!)
- high quality, comfortable high heels in a neutral color
- thin red belt that fits around my waist
- blouses with easily mixable patterns or colors, preferably with special detailing
- high quality leopard print flats, preferably pointed toe
Next, I established some general shopping rules to keep in mind.
1. Do not settle for something that is okay because of price. Instead hold out for something you love, even if you have to pay a little more for it.
2. Steer away from synthetics that are droopy and shapeless. Instead go for cotton, cotton blends, and fabrics with structure.
3. Go for pieces that will mix and match well, instead of individual or "special" pieces.
4. Stick to jewel tones or neutrals for a color palette. Emerald, violet, ruby, sapphire, or neutrals.
5. If the store doesn't have the exact size you need, don't compromise on a size that's larger. As a super petite person, this can tend to make me look like I'm playing dress up in Mommy's clothes, which was a big problem I had with many of my old clothes I got rid of.
With that in mind, I was off! Over the last three days, I have been to: J.C. Penney's, Sears, Gap, Charlotte Russe, Dress Barn, Vanity Fair Outlet, Easy Spirit Outlet, Pac Sun, New York & Company Outlet, rue21, LOFT Outlet, Jones New York Outlet, Papaya, Body Central, Target, Old Navy, and KMart. Wow. Good thing I already have high quality shoes or my feet would be killing me just thinking about this list!
So after all was said and done, I found lots of pieces that I love, made some mistakes along the way, and learned a lot! I'm really happy with what I got and I found a lot of it on sale and even had some coupons.
1. Petite Boyfriend Blazer - LOFT Outlet
2. Covington Petite's Blouse & Tank Top in White and Black Polka Dots - Sears
3. Gathered Neck T-shirt in Gray - Target
4/5. Cuffed Sleeve Jacket - Papaya (in 4. black and 5. teal)
6. White Camisole - Vanity Fair
7. Petite Curvy Boot Cut Jeans - LOFT Outlet
8. Black Pencil Skirt - Target
9. Petite Dotted A-Line Skirt - LOFT Outlet
10. Petite Curvy Fit Trouser Jeans - LOFT Outlet
11. Skinny Red Belt - New York and Company
12. Fit For A Queen Statement Necklace - Charlotte Russe
And just for fun, I included some pictures of the pieces. I'll be doing pictures of outfits some time later this week, but I was having camera issues today and the pictures were coming out really blurry because I didn't have enough light. I'll have to try again on a sunny day when I have better natural lighting. These will have to do for now though.