Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Fashion Adventure: Hidden in the Closet


When I cleaned out my closet last week, I found several items that I already owned hidden in my closet.  Some of them were shoved in deep corners where I couldn't see them, and some of them were in plain sight but either didn't fit quite right or I just didn't know how to work them into my wardrobe.  Today I'm going to share these items with you as well as my mission to work these "new old" pieces into my new wardrobe.

Black Trench Coat
This is an item that was stuffed in our downstairs coat closet where I never look.  I've actually had this trench coat for years and never have worn it once.  The sleeves are too long and I when I rolled them up, the same giant buttons on the front were on the sleeves.  It never occurred to me until this morning to just take the buttons off the sleeves and cuff them up!  They were really cute that way!  I originally bought this coat five or six years ago from J.C. Penney's petite department on clearance.  And I've already worn it once!  If you look closely, you can see that there is a very subtle pattern in the fabric that makes it even more special. (see photo at top of page for close up; center top)

Purple Purse
Another item stuffed in a corner!  This purse was in the top of my closet with in a box with a bunch of other purses.  It's my favorite color and all the different pockets keep my stuff organized.  I'm using it every day right now.  This is also a few years old but I can't remember where I bought it.  If I had to guess, I would probably say Target.

Animal Print Blouse
I actually came really close to tossing this blouse because I've had it for about two years and only worn it two or three times.  I actually really like this top but the straps were way too long for my petite body and it hung down way too low and just didn't really fit properly.  For a long time, I had the straps safety pinned in to be shorter.  Then I decided I could just quickly hem up the straps with my sewing machine!  I fixed it this weekend and I'm looking forward to wearing this again!  It really feels like a brand new shirt since I've worn it so little.

Denim Pencil Skirt
I bought this skirt last year and literally wore it one time.  It's super cute but it's not petite size so it was too long.  I hadn't forgotten about it or anything, I just didn't really like the length of it on me.  I once again busted out the sewing machine and with a quick hem, breathed new life into this skirt.  And I even practiced this technique I learned from Pinterest on how to leave the original denim hem intact!  I think it worked well and I'm excited to wear it again.  Like the blouse, it feels like a brand new item!

Teal Skinny Belt
I think I've looked at this belt every day for about two years now!  I keep it with all of my other belts, which I wear often.  I just really was struggling about how to wear this belt and what to wear with it.  I bought it from Target, thinking it would be a great accessory and then I just got...stuck.  I didn't know what to do with it but now I am determined to find something to wear with it, as I've never worn it once!

Black Leather Jacket
This jacket has been with me for ages!  My parents bought this classic black leather jacket for me when I was a freshman or sophomore in high school (probably almost fifteen years ago now, yikes!).  I wore it all the time back then and even used to condition the leather a few times a year.  It was from Wilson's and was great quality and as you can see, it still looks brand new.  It was buried in the coat closet next to my trench so now I'm storing them both next to my blazers in my clothing closet.  I've already worn this baby too!

My mission is to find a way to work these items into my wardrobe rotation again.  Some are easier than others but seeing these great pieces lost in my massive amount of clothes has made me realize that when you have too much, sometimes great pieces can get lost among the garbage.  Meanwhile, remember the hissy fit that started my whole Fashion Adventure series?  If not, I basically was getting ready for date night with my husband and stood looking at a closet full of clothes and getting angry about having nothing to wear.  Meanwhile, I totally could have worn the blouse above with either the trench coat or the leather jacket and it would have been a perfect outfit for the night.  So it's kind of funny that I had pieces all along that were ideal but I had forgotten about them in the clutter.  But I'm glad I did because I really feel happier about the pieces I do have now and my new outlook on my style.

2 comments: