Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Closet Full of Clothes & Nothing to Wear

Have you seen this image floating around on Pinterest?

[quickmeme.com]
Story of my life yesterday!  Except that I didn't want to cry.  I wanted to yell, scream, swear, throw things and end the tantrum by giving up completely and putting on jeans, tennis shoes and a hoodie for a romantic date night.  Time for a change!

The past two weeks back at work have been super busy for me so Brian and I haven't gotten to see each other a lot during the week.  We've made up for it by going on dates on the weekend and spending some quality time together.  We old married people don't go out on dates that often, so I was really excited to have some opportunities to wear some cute outfits.  But what ended up happening was that I spent half the day trying on outfits and I had that totally frustrating feeling where your closet is literally FULL of clothes but you have nothing to wear.  Last night, after the third date and round of "I hate all of my clothes", I was beyond frustrated.

Instead of going out with my bum clothes on, I ended up settling on something that was just meh.  I won't say it ruined my night, because I had a great time anyways.  However, all night long I kept thinking about how on Earth did I have so many clothes that they are literally crammed into my closet space, under the bed storage boxes, and dresser and yet for three weekends in a row, I've hated them all?  It was time to rethink my wardrobe and also my shopping strategy.

For awhile now, I've been in this kind of confused fashion state.  In high school, I had a flat, hard stomach and I could wear just about any cheapo little outfit and still look cute.  Then I went to college and gained a little weight and didn't have such a flat stomach anymore, which was okay because in college everyone is a bum anyway and just wears jeans and a T-shirt.  Once I started teaching, I couldn't wear my bum clothes anymore and I didn't really know how to transition from high school/college wardrobe to a grown up business casual sort of wardrobe.  I've been sort of stuck in between ever since.

I want to look professional and grown up but still cute and young and I feel like on a teacher's salary, that's not always the easiest thing to do.  I certainly don't have the money to go out and buy an entire new wardrobe right now.  So I started looking around on Pinterest (follow me!) and found this pin and it has completely changed the way I think about my wardrobe.

I started doing some Google searching to try to learn more about what exactly a "capsule wardrobe" meant.  I would define it as a wardrobe consisting of basic, classic pieces that are well made, fit well, and can be easily mixed and matched to create a multitude of outfits.  Blew.  My.  Mind.  What I began to realize is that I have a ton of cheap, ill fitting clothes, most of which I bought on sale or clearance and most of which I am not that crazy about in the first place.  At some point, I got into this bad habit of thinking that quantity was more important than quality.

What I've decided is that I'm going to make some serious changes in my closet and dresser, as well as changing the way I shop.  To start, I'm going to follow the advice of this article and purge my closet.  (The funny thing is, I just went through my closet about six weeks ago and purged about three garbage bags full of clothes, which I donated.  And I still have a ton of clothes!)  I thought it would be fun to share with my readers my adventure in turning my current overflowing wardrobe of "meh" clothes into something smaller that I love.  I'll be starting by sorting every item of clothing I own.  Oh my.  I'm going to make such a mess.

6 comments:

  1. Great post!!! I felt this way about 6 months ago and purged my closet. Even though I didn't physically lose any weight, I felt 20 pounds lighter! It was a lot of mental baggage to deal with in the mornings. I found a handful of blogs that were very inspirational, one of which was "Putting Me Together" (don't know if I'm allowed to post a link or not...). It was very helpful and she posts loads of photos of how she "Remixes" her wardrobe. (P.S. I have no affiliation with her or her blog, just sharing an inspirational source!)

    Also, I'm sure as busy as your life is, filming for your channel isn't a top priority. However, this would make for an AWEOME video series, if you're up to it!

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely have to check that blog out! After getting rid of 5 garbage bags full of stuff, I'm feeling lots lighter too!

      Delete
  2. Oh I've definitely had a few occasions that I just wasn't prepared for. I threw a fit, and ended up going way too casual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been in that same position so often lately!

      Delete
  3. Great blog post! I love the pin you shared, so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm feeling really inspired lately by my personal "makeover".

      Delete