Monday, July 9, 2012

Rainbow Nail Tutorial

WARNING: Picture Heavy!
Materials
If you were wondering how I got my rainbow nail look here, then you've come to the right place!  Let's get started with my rainbow nail tutorial!

1. Start out by cutting a makeup sponge so that it is slightly larger than your biggest nail.  I like for both the top and the bottom of the sponge to be flat surfaces, this way it will sit flat on my workspace.


2. Next, paint your nails with a base coat to protect your natural nails from staining and help the polish adhere to your nails.  Here I used Orly's Bonder.
3. Once your base coat is dry, apply a coat of white nail polish.  This doesn't have to be perfect, because it won't show through.  The white is just to make the colors pop so if there are streaks or bald spots, that's okay.  My favorite white is Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in White On, which is what I used.
4. Once your white coat is completely dry, take your makeup sponge and paint a stripe of blue at the bottom, yellow in the middle, and red on top.  You want the yellow stripe to be the largest, because it will be dominated by the darker colors.  If you have too much polish on the sponge, dab it off onto a paper towel.
5. Next, use the sponge to dab the colors over the white, moving both left to right and slightly up and down so that the colors blend together at the edges.
This is what you want the nail to look like after sponging.  Be sure the rainbow colors are completely dry before moving on to the next step.
6. Grab a nail plate with a zebra print on it.  The one I used is Bundle Monster Image Plate BM223.  Using a black polish, stamp on the zebra print over the entire nail.  The black I used was Wet N Wild Wild Shine in Black Creme.
7. Again, once that is completely dry, apply a top coat to seal in the design and prevent chipping.  When using top coat on stamping, be sure to use enough polish to avoid touching the design with the brush.  Make three lines, one down the middle and one on each side.  If you feel like you need more top coat, allow the first layer to dry before adding a second coat.  This way you won't smudge the stamping.  I used Seche Vite as my top coat.
Before top coat
And finally we have some photos both before and after top coat.  I hope you try this out!  It's super fun!  Lastly, I'll leave you with a tip.  To clean up the giant mess around my cuticles, I use pointed Q tips dipped in polish remover.  The pointed tip gives me a little more control than a regular Q tip.  Happy painting!
After top coat

2 comments: