Thursday, July 19, 2012

Galaxy Nails Tutorial

If you're interested in how I got the galaxy nails I posted here, then read on for the tutorial!

1. Start out with a base coat.  I used Orly's Bonder but any base coat will work.
2. Apply a dark base coat.  I used Nicole by OPI in I'm a Pool for Love, which is a blackened purple with super tiny purple, pink and blue shimmer.
3. Next, use an eyeshadow sponge applicator to sponge on a white polish in a galaxy or nebula shape.  I used Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in White On.  This will serve as a base for other colors.
4. When the white base is dry, use the other side of the sponge tip to apply a lavendar polish over most of the white.  The polish I chose was Sally Hansen Insta Dri in Lively Lilac.
5. After the lavendar is dry, go over the outer edges of the white with a medium blue polish.  Again, I used an eyeshadow sponge.  (Tip: If you feel like you've covered too much of the lavendar, just go back over it with some more.)
6. Once that is all dry, sponge on a shimmery polish to blend the edges.  I used Corona by Chameleon.  It's a pretty unique polish that is multi-dimensional and changes from pink to blue to brown and sometimes even green.
7. To complete the look, brush on a glitter polish.  I chose N.Y.C. Starry Silver Glitter.  It has small and medium holographic glitter that looks like stars, as well as large royal blue and lavendar glitters that match the other shades in this manicure perfectly.
8. Finally, add a topcoat to it and you're all done!  My favorite is N.Y.C. Fast Dry nail polish in Grand Central Station.


When you're all finished, you should have something that looks like this:

2 comments:

  1. I really like how this came out. You did a great job. I just might have to try this.

    ReplyDelete