Thursday, July 12, 2012

31 Day Nail Challenge: Stripes

This is another challenge that I wasn't really looking forward to.  I'm not a big fan of stripes.  I personally prefer more intricate patterns.  Curves appeal much more to me than straight lines but I guess it's good to be pushed out of your comfort zone sometimes.  Other than a little bit of smudging on some of the stripes (index finger), this turned out okay, I think.
For the base color, I used a polish from the Spoiled line by Wet N Wild.  I'm not sure if it's Limited Edition because it was in a special summer display but I picked up Distant Memory because it was a really pretty and kind of unique shade.  On the nail, it's a green leaning teal with lots of shimmer.  I used two coats to reach opacity here.  I've heard a lot of people who got really wonky brushes on these Spoiled polishes, but the brush on this one was quite good for me.  It was wide and curved at the tip, which helped me to get a pretty neat manicure towards the cuticles.  My problem with this polish came with the formula.  Terrible!  Application was okay but it took forever to dry and impatient me kept bumping my nails against things and having to touch it up.  I was also surprised to see that this dried to a rather matte finish, which you can see if you enlarge the photo above.  I was tired of waiting for this to dry and also wanted to see what it would look like with some gloss, so I added a fast dry topcoat.
The photo you see above is with topcoat and it just makes that shimmer really stand out!  So even though this polish was a bit of a pain, I will definitely be using it again.  I'll just slap on a fast dry topcoat to speed things up a bit.  This was so pretty and shimmery that I really did not want to stamp over it but the challenge called for stripes.  Using Sally Hansen Insta Dri in Silver Sweep and Shany Image Plate SH23, I added on the stripes.  I really can't wait to use this polish again with a stamp that doesn't cover this gorgeous base color so much.
If you can find this amazing shade, I think it would be a great addition of a summer color. And for only $1.99 at CVS, why not try it?

No comments:

Post a Comment