Monday, July 9, 2012

31 Day Nail Challenge: Rainbow

I was completely stumped on what to do for this challenge.  Rainbow?  Are you kidding me?  I can barely paint my fingers one color and you want me to do rainbow?  Insanity!  So I had to get creative.  So I got to thinking about my elementary school art days.  I remembered that the primary colors, red, yellow and blue can be combined to make pretty much any color you can imagine.  So I thought why couldn't I combine them to make a rainbow?  I've seen a lot of people recently using makeup sponges to get a gradient effect on their nails so I thought I would combine the two ideas and give it a try.  I never would have imagined that it would have turned out so well!
I'm not going to get too detailed with the explanation, because I am planning to write a tutorial for this manicure but I will give you the general idea.  As a base for this manicure, I applied one to two coats of Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in White On.  I then used a makeup sponge to apply Sally Hansen Insta Dri polishes in Rapid Red, Lightening, and Co-Bolt Blue.  Just a warning - this makes a huge mess around your cuticles so be prepared for lots of clean up!
After the rainbow colors were dry, I stamped on the zebra print using Wet N Wild Wild Shine in Black Creme and Bundle Monster Image Plate BM223.  The great thing about the zebra stamp is that it was even big enough to cover my entire thumb nails.  Score!
I'm pretty proud of how this turned out, especially considering that this was one of the challenges that I was originally dreading.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you totally "nailed" it! I've not tried gradient yet, but you've given me hope that it can be done and doesn't have to be hard. Looking forward to your tutorial on this manicure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's so much easier than it seems!

      Delete
  2. wow that looks so cool!

    http://labelleseraphine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete