Saturday, July 28, 2012

31 Day Nail Challenge: Inspired by a Flag

Remember how I'm really awful at manicures where I have to stick things onto my nails?  I sort of knew this would go down the same way but I love it anyway because of the symbolism for me.
[Source]
The flag I chose is the flag of Lucerne, Switzerland.  I've been to this amazingly beautiful town twice before and I absolutely love it!  The flag that I found online is basically half blue and half white.  I wanted the curved part at the bottom to be represented by the cuticle area, since it's rounded, but then when I took the pictures I forgot which way it went and I accidentally took them all with my hand positioned the wrong way.  I flipped the picture above upside down so you could see that it does match the flag but they looked so funky upside down that I just left the rest alone.  You get the idea, I'm sure!
I started off with two coats of Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in White On, which is my go to white because it applies really easily and you only need one to two coats for the white to be opaque.
Next, I attempted to tape off half of my fingers with scotch tape.  That didn't go so well. On several fingers, you can see that the tape line is not really down the center (index finger).  Also, the tape didn't stick perfectly to every finger so there are some places where the line isn't very crisp (middle and ring fingers).
Last, I painted the blue stripe with one coat of Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Brisk Blue and then took off the scotch tape as soon as I could.  I tried to touch up some of the areas where the blue line wasn't so perfect but this is what I ended up with.  Not great looking, but brought back great memories for me.
And here are some photos of my last trip to Lucerne!  I have never realized before that this picture actually has a flag of Lucerne in it!  It appears this one is square.
And last, this is a picture of the beautiful Kapellbr├╝cke bridge that Lucerne is quite famous for.  Such a lovely place!  Wish I was there now.

No comments:

Post a Comment