Tuesday, July 24, 2012

31 Day Nail Challenge: Inspired by a Book

The manicure assignment for this look was inspired by a book.  At the time that I did these nails, I had just finished reading The Glassblower of Murano.  You can buy it here.  It was written by Marina Fiorato, who is also the author of The Botticelli Secret, another great read.  In The Glassblower of Murano, the main character is rather obsessed with an artisan red glass blown heart that was made by her ancestor.  So I decided to use the red glass blown heart as my inspiration.
I started off with a white base so the red would really pop.  I chose Wet N Wild Megalast in Break The Ice, which is a seriously pretty shimmery white.  I needed three coats for it to be opaque but it was so worth it and the application was really nice.  As far as white polishes go, this is among my favorites.
Next, I stamped on Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Rapid Red.  The image plate was from the Salon Express kit.  I thought it well represented the glass blown heart, as the top of the heart sort of looks like breath being blown in.
I wasn't really trying to get perfectly straight hearts but I think the stamping on some of these could have been better but I still really liked the way this represented the heart from the book.


Have you read any good books lately?  I have to read fifteen children's chapter books for a class I'm taking for in-service points and I've read nine so far.  I love to read!  So far my favorite has been The Books of Elsewhere: The Shadows.  If you have a child in upper elementary school (grades 4-6), I definitely recommend it!

1 comment: