Friday, June 22, 2012

Sally Hansen Salon Effects: Attempt #1

Awhile back, I had purchased a few packs of the Sally Hansen Salon Effects Real Nail Polish Strips.  In all, I bought three packs (all on clearance), thinking they would be great to wear while I was on vacation.  That way I wouldn't have to haul around a bunch of nail products but I could still have great manicures that would hopefully last.  Oh how disappointed I am.  I've only tried one pack (saving the other two for my vacation next week) but I have no desire to ever use them again.  I had heard that there was quite a bit of a learning curve but I just could not get these to look good at all.  The pictures speak for themselves.
If you click the pictures to enlarge them, you can really see how terrible these look.  The instructions were harder to follow than I thought and I ended up totally messing up my pinky because I forgot to peel off the plastic cover before starting.  I got the instructions right for the rest of the fingers but I just had a heck of a time getting the strip right where I wanted it on the cuticle so the cuticle looks awful.  Then there were issues with bubbles and I couldn't always find a perfect fit.
The only thing about these pictures that was good was the lighting.  For some reason, the natural sunlight was coming into the windows at my mom's house perfectly so you can really see just how awful they look.  Too bad I can't get the same lighting at my house for all the good manicures I photograph!  Arrgh.
Once on the nail, the color of these particular strips turned out a neon orange cream that looked awful with everything I wore.  In the package, they looked much more muted to me and much less loud.  I followed up the application with a top coat but these still lasted less than twenty-four hours before they started chipping really badly.  And I even made sure to coat the tips.  Also, the strip began to peel away from the cuticle so every time I ran my fingers through my hair, my hair got caught in the gap between the strip and my cuticle.
I finally couldn't resist and started really picking at them after about twenty-four hours.  After picking away half of the strip, I tried taking them off with non-acetone polish remover and the whole thing just turned into a white gooey mess that was a total pain to remove.  I hated everything about these and I really don't want to try them again.  My first impression is that they are awful, horrible crap and I could paint my nails and easily make it look better than this, take less time, and last longer.  But just for my lovely followers, I am going to force myself to try the other two sets I bought to try to see if it was just a bad set or that I needed to learn how to apply them or what.  I'll keep you posted next week when I try again.


Has anyone tried these with success?  Am I doing something wrong?

6 comments:

  1. I would like to know that as well! I got one the other week and tried it but it literally peeled off my nails. It also looked bad before it peeled :( a lot of ppl seem to love them so I wonder what the deal is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was thinking too but maybe I didn't do it right.

      Delete
  2. I had great success with these. Before you put them on make sure your nails are residue free, no cuticle cream, lotion, anything. It's easier to give yourself a tiny gap instead of trying to match them right up. Once you get it set along your cuticle right, stretch them a little as you lay them down. It should prevent any bubbling. Top coat really isn't necessary but you can use it if you want. You could use it as glue if an edge starts to peel up. I didn't have the same problem with removal, but you could try the foil method. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips! I'm thinking maybe if I had used pure acetone they would have come off easily but I didn't have any on hand since I was out of town. I'll definitely try your tips when I use them again!

      Delete
  3. I have tried these a few times. I would say I semi liked them. My biggest problem with them is that there are not enough big ones for my nails. I must have large nails or something, I end up having large gaps on the sides of a few of my nails. I agree with the you about the removal, it is a pain. I enjoy your Youtube channel and your blog. Have wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did have some problems with the sizing as well. The smaller size was too small but the next one up would be too big.

      Delete