Monday, June 11, 2012

Manicure Monday: Stamping Tutorial Part 1

I have had several people request that I do a tutorial on how to do stamping with a kit like the one I blogged about here and here.  I've posted a lot of manicures with stamping and I always get lots of compliments where I'm wearing one.  Let's start out with what you'll need.


MATERIALS


Materials: base coat, nail polish color, stamping color, top coat, nail polish remover, Q-tips, stamper, scraper (or old gift card, which works better in my opinion), and of course, some nail image plates


Getting a stamper, scraper, and nail plates: I know they are selling some small kits at Walmart for around $5-10.  I also have seen the Salon Express Kit on sale at Sally Beauty Supply, some Bed, Bath and Beyond Stores, and if you looked at my posts linked above, right now you can get quite a nice starter kit at Big Lots for $6.50.  I personally like the double ended stamper that is pictured above because it has a smaller end that is great for aiming with smaller images.  But whatever floats your boat.  You can get that double ended stamper from Amazon, here.


Nail polishes: You will need a base coat to protect your natural nail from staining and also to help smooth the nail for polish.  I've been using Orly's Bonder, but you can use whatever you like.  Next you will need a base color for your manicure.  For this tutorial, I'm using my favorite base polish, Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Green With Envy.  Next, you will need a color to stamp over the base color.  My favorite line of polish for stamping is Sally Hansen Insta-Dri and for this look I used the shade Flashy Fuchsia.  (Check out my Stamping Polishes page above for some polishes that I know work for stamping.)  Finally, you will need a topcoat to seal in the design and protect it from chipping while adding a lovely shine to your nails.


Clean Up: To clean up, I like to use this Nail Polish Remover tub that I got at CVS.  I prefer non-acetone cleaner for my stamper, scraper, and image plates.  When I originally bought my official Konad starter kit, the instructions said not to clean the stamper with acetone. I also like this tub because I can dip a Q-tip right in and clean off the stamper, scraper, and plates easily.


To clean up, I just dip the Q tip in the tub.
Then I use the Q-tip to clean the extra nail polish off of the image plate.
And I use the same Q-tip to clean the stamper and scraper.  Clean up isn't that big of a deal and the extra polish comes off easily with polish remover.


So now that you know what you'll need, let's move on to how to do it!  Click HERE for Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment