Saturday, June 9, 2012

Happy Summer to Me!

HAPPY SUMMER TO ME!!!  This has been a whirlwind week at work!  End of the school year for teachers is super busy and this year was no exception for me.  I spent hours before and after school grading papers, entering grades and writing comments for report cards, cleaning and breaking down my room, reorganizing everything in my classroom, and closing out everything for the school year.  I apologize for my absence but there are only so many hours in a day!


So now that I am on vacation for the next six weeks, I thought I would share with you what I'll be up to.  This week, I have a few days off and then I have a workshop next week.  After that, Brian and I will be driving up to Pittsburgh to spend a week with our families.  If you follow my blog regularly, then you would know that in November of 2011, my dad had liver transplant surgery.  Well, I am happy to report that my mother says he is healthier than he has been for about five years.  When I saw him at Christmas, he was still recovering and rather weak so I will be extremely happy to see him well again and back to his old self.


After we get back from our trip to Pittsburgh, we have a few days here in Saint Augustine before we drive to St. Pete Beach in Florida.  Brian has an all expenses paid workshop there and we'll be spending four or five days at a lovely hotel on the beach!  I'm hoping to have time to blog while I'm there, since Brian will be gone most of the day.


Also, I am taking a class through my school district over the summer for in-service points.  Basically, I have to read fifteen children's books and create activities to go with each book. The books are the Sunshine State Young Readers Award books and my fifth graders will be competing with fourth grade next year in a Battle of the Books.  It should be a lot of fun for the kids but that's another thing to do this summer.  Reading the fifteen books is not really that big of a deal (they are children's chapter books, after all, and I am a fast reader), but the work for the class and the creations of the activities will be pretty time consuming.


Then once we're done with all of our traveling in July, I usually start to get my classroom and my team (I'm the head of the fifth grade at my school) ready for the new school year!  There is a good chance that I will be working with our curriculum coach over the summer to fine tune the fifth grade curriculum, which will also take up a good bit of time.


So basically what I am saying is I have six weeks off, but it's going to be a busy six weeks! And as always, it will be over before I know it.  But for today, I am going to enjoy sitting on my couch in my pajamas, sipping coffee, in no hurry to go anywhere or do anything.

2 comments:

  1. Happy summer to you! I have a lot of respect for teachers and you sound like a great one so I know the summer break is very well deserved. I've wondered what teachers do in the summer so it's nice that you elaborated on your plans. It's great that you take your job seriously and spend some personal time taking classes and whatnot to improve your...methods(?). Anyway thanks for blogging and making videos; I find both helpful and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I take my job very seriously and while I usually get to sleep in over the summer, I do spend a lot of time preparing for the next year, creating activities, and trying to find new ways to keep the learning exciting for the kids and myself. I really love what I do.

      Delete