Saturday, April 14, 2012

My Straight, Sleek Hair

I have been loving my hair lately!  It has been straighter than normal, shinier, and sleek. I feel that this change is definitely attributed to some new products and methods I've been using so I thought I would share my routine for any of you out there trying to achieve a similar look.


My Natural Hair: (To the best of my knowledge) Naturally, my hair is straight and extremely frizzy.  It's not poker straight but it definitely doesn't have any wave to it.  I would say it is straight but does crazy things at the ends.  Also, it is very frizzy and has a good deal of natural body to it.  My hair is not fine or flat, holds a curl pretty well and doesn't damage that easily.  It's pretty average in thickness, being neither thin nor thick.  My biggest problem with my hair is frizz.  If I don't blow dry my hair, it looks downright awful (in my opinion).


The Story:
So I know very little about hair.  It's probably the area that I have learned the least about when it comes to beauty.  I've learned lots of tricks and tips about makeup and nail polish and fashion from YouTube and other beauty bloggers, but hair has always befuddled me.  I never know if my hair is coarse or fine or what products I should buy to go with my hair.  Every time I go to a salon and ask, it seems like the employees just recommend whatever they get the most commission for if they sell.  I didn't think the employees at Sally Beauty made commission so I thought I would ask someone there.  I explained my frizz problem and asked for a recommendation for a product that would help.  I was recommended this: One 'N Only Argan Oil Styling Cream.  I purchased it and took it home, eager to try out something that might help tame my frizz.  I tried this out for about a week and a half and quickly decided that not only did I not like it, I hated it.  It made my hair even more dry and extremely difficult to manage.


The same day that I purchased this product, my husband and I stopped by our local Barnes and Noble and on a whim, I picked up a book on hair that was on clearance.  The Complete Book of Hairstyling by Charles Worthington was only $6.98.  For that price, I thought it was worth a try.  After reading most of this book, it seemed to me that I should try out a leave-in conditioner and a hair masque to add moisture back into my hair.  The other products that were recommended were things I already had so I took my Argan Oil Styling Cream and headed back to Sally's to exchange it.  Instead I picked up Beyond the Zone Split Mender (a leave-in conditioner) and Ion Smooth Solutions Keratin Smoothing Masque (a deep conditioning hair masque).


So I was off again to try out more hair products in hopes of finding something that would work for me.  I was also on a mission to use up some old hair products I had around the house as part of my Project X Pan so I added a few other products into my line up as well.  Here's what I've been using.
At Night: About once a week, I'll use the Ion Keratin Smoothing Mask in the shower.  It's basically a deep conditioner.  Then once I get out of the shower and towel-dry my hair, I'll put in two to three pumps of the Beyond the Zone Split Mender.  Then I wrap my hair up in my fun pink Turbie Twist for about half an hour to an hour, or until I'm ready to blow dry my hair.  Usually by then my hair is around 70% dry.  At that time, I'll put a good helping of the Beyond the Zone Turn Up The Heat (heat protectant) into the ends of my hair and whatever is left over gets smoothed over the top.  In my roots, I'll put a bit of mousse.  I love the Tresemme Thermal Creations Mousse but I finished that bottle and now I'm working on finishing the So Gorgeous Volumizing Root Mousse.  It works well to give volume but it smells exactly like Lemon Pledge so I'm not a fan of the fragrance at all.  I will gently rub that into the roots at the temple and crown.  Then I spray a bit of the Tresemme No Frizz Shine Spray on a hairbrush and gently brush through the skirt of my hair.  Then I blow dry with a paddle brush.
In The Morning: I flat iron my hair using my Power IQ hair straightener from Sally Beauty Supply.  I divide my hair into two vertical sections, left and right side.  I clip the right side off then start straightening the left side.  I start at the back and just straighten one inch vertical sections at a time.  When a section is done, I push it behind my back to keep it out of the way.  With these products, I've only needed to keep my flat iron at 310 degrees to get extremely straight, sleek hair.  I do the right side the same way.


When all of my hair has been straightened, I put a pea-sized dallop of Bed Head After Party onto my palm and rub it together in my hands to emulsify it.  Then I run it through the skirt of my hair to add shine and close the cuticles.  For extra hold, I apply a flexible hold hairspray.  Right now I'm trying to use up this Rockaholic Fun Times hairspray but my favorite one to use is the Garnier Fructis Style Flexible Hold Hairspray.


And I end up with straight, sleek beautiful hair!  For some reason this combination seems to really be working for me.  I have turned down the temperature on my flat iron and somehow my hair comes out more straight than before.  I don't know why, but I'm loving it!

Where can I get these products and how much do they cost?

Night Products:
1. Beyond the Zone Turn Up The Heat Serum: Sally Beauty Supply, $6.79 with Beauty Club Card
2. Beyond the Zone Split Mender: Sally Beauty Supply, $6.49 with Beauty Club Card
3. So Gorgeous Volumizing Root Mousse: Sally Beauty Supply, $6.99 (for full size) with Beauty Club Card
4. Tresemme Thermal Creations Volumizing Mousse (what I prefer): Target, $3.99
5. Ion Keratin Smoothing Masque: Sally Beauty Supply, $5.99 with Beauty Club Card
6. Tresemme No Frizz Shine Spray: CVS, Walmart, Target and many other retailers, under $6 (varies by store)
7. Turbie Twist: Sally Beauty Supply, $5.49 with Beauty Club Card (also sold at CVS, Target, and many other retailers)


Morning Products:
1. Bed Head by TIGI After Party: Target, $17.99
2. Rockaholic Fun Times Hairspray: Target, $20.49 (I got mine for under $3 at Walmart on clearance)
3. Garnier Frustic Style Flexible Hold Hairspray (what I prefer): Target, $3.49

No comments:

Post a Comment